Is it true that tall people can't be gymnasts, ballerinas, etc?

I'm 5'11". When I was little I wanted to be a figure skater. I BEGGED my mother for a pair of skates, but she told me that I was too tall and would never be good at it because of that.

Then I wanted to be a gymnast. I don't have the flexibility or the balance, lol, but I got the same answer from my mom. Too tall. Same for ballerina and the setter position in volley ball.

My little girl is 3, and we're getting ready to enroll her in ballet classes. She is already tall for her age. I just don't want for her to love ballet and have her be told the same things I was.

Are those things true?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I havent ever heard of these things. Honestly it sounds like your moms lame excuse for not wanting you to take classes. Who cares if your tall? When your young its about fun. Sorry your mom did that to you.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Why shouldn't she study and enjoy ballet? Maybe one in a million kids who take ballet classes becomes a professional ballet dancer; that doesn't mean that the other 999,999 didn't gain from taking the classes.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:37 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• It is true that being very tall can sometimes make those sports more challenging, especially in situations that require partnering, but your Mom was just giving you a ton of lame excuses. Please go ahead and put your DD in any sport you wish; exercise in any form is great. Besides, I seriously doubt that you need to plan her professional career at 3. There's plenty of time to discover her talents and the more you let her experience, the better she'll be.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• I know a few tall ballerina's...in fact they are quite tall. Gymnasts? It's true that thi shorter you are, the easier it is to perform those crazy flips & bends. Shorter people have a more centered balance...and that is just true. The longer you are, the easier it is to throw your balance off. But, i know many tall dancers...if you have the muscles & stamina to do it, i think anyone can be a good dancer...tall or short.

Also, in yoga, Tall people have a much harder time with back bends. It's rare that a tall person can do a "bridge" right of the bat, but lots of short people can. I can tell in my yoga classes that the taller folks have a harder time with poses.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:54 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Go ahead and enroll her anyway. Just because she takes a class at 3 doesn't mean this is her destiny for life. Even if she does become physically unfit for a professional career, too tall, she will still have benefitted from these classes.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Gymnasts usually are short, but most ballet dancers are tall. However, that shouldn't keep any child from doing an activity they enjoy!

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Small stature is a big advantage in competitive gymnastics and ice skating. It's because of the easier ability to balance, jump, and spin. However, that doesn't mean a tall child won't enjoy the classes and gain from them.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 10:09 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• I always thought that ballerinas were supposed to be super tall so that you could see more leg movements.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Gymnists are typically short, but a tall ballerina to me has alot more grace same with figure skating which is basically ballet on ice. I think your mom may have been telling this maybe because she coud afford it. Not sure can't speculate on that. But if your child wants to do any of those things, let her. It's suppose to be for fun.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:41 AM on Aug. 12, 2011

• I was always told the tall ones were the ones who COULD be ballerinas and gymnasts!
    donegal11

Answer by donegal11 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 12, 2011