3 IN A HALF lbs AND 7 MONTHS PREGNANT.. I'M WORRIED !

I just got back from the Doctors and she said that the baby was 3 in a half lbs.. My cervix is close but she is worried i might go into labor early in the next few weeks bc i had my first a month early. I'm 143lbs and I started at 110lbs. I eat pretty healthy and I quit smoking at 4 months of pregnancy. My first son was 5 lbs 8 ounces a month premature and was healthy. Everyone is saying i need to eat more but I do eat. My mom just told me also my aunts had their children @ 8 months. I feel like my body's ready to give birth but the baby's not. I guess my question is what can I do to help the baby gain more weight in the next four weeks just in case i do deliver

lisacieslak

Asked by lisacieslak at 5:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's not the physical weight of the baby that's important - its critical things like lung development and other ways that they score the health of the baby. I know people tend to think of the old standard of "5lbs and they can go home" but its not like that anymore. They look for breathing, sleep apnea, ability to eat and gain weight.. etc. Did you ask your doctor about going on steroids for the baby's lung development? I don't think you need to eat more, just eat healthy. Pay attention to your body, if you feel anything that feels like labor go to the hospital. If they can stop your labor they will. You want your child to have as much chance to develop as possible.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I dont see the problem? My dd is as far along as you are and they said her baby was about 3lbs too. Babies dont gain the bulk of their weight until the last few weeks.

Answer by gemgem at 5:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• your baby gains the most weight in the last 3-4 weeks
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 5:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Thats the thing I might not have the last few weeks.
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 5:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I'd be more concerned about the lung thing, as well. Is your doctor aware of the prevelence of premature babies in your family? Definitely make sure s/he knows of all your fears and concerns so that they can take the necessary steps. Your doctor may also be able to suggest some weight-gain methods for you, though just because you gain a lot of weight doesn't mean your baby is going to!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2008