My daughter's foot was red, swollen and very warm to the touch. What does that mean and is it bad?

I was getting my daughter undressed to take a bath and realized her foot was red and looked a bit bigger than the other one. Then when I went to touch it it was warm.

PureKrz21

Asked by PureKrz21 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• did she maybe step into something?! im not a doctor, but it kinda sounds like an infection.. check her foot again and if there is anything thats not suppose to be there maybe she stepped into something
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• She may have been bit by something, if it doesn't go away by tomorrow I would take her to the doctor.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• How old is your daughter...is she walking yet? If walking, was she limping/favoring her foot? If she's NOT walking, maybe she got her foot caught between the crib rails or between sofa cushions, etc. It sounds as if she could have sprained/strained a muscle or tendon/ligament in her foot. Was the skin red, or was there also bruising? If it is red and swollen, that's indicative of a sprain/strain. If there is a bruise that means she sustained more trauma--and it could be a severe sprain or broken bone. If she cried in pain when you touched it would be indicative of a severe sprain or break! The best thing to do is "RICE" it--Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation...15 min on, 15 min off, for 1 hour, then take an hour off and repeat. If she shows more trauma/pain/swelling in 24 hours, take her to the ER or outpatient clinic for x-rays and exam.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I think you should have been on the phone to your doctor who has a medical license the moment you questioned what you discovered.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• That doesn't sound good. I would bring her to the doctor ASAP to have it looked at. She might have a cellulitis.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• was her sock or shoe on too tight? or was someting arround her foot to restrict blood flow - was she sleeping on it?
    i would call the doc if it doesnt go away within 20 or 30 min.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• TAKE HER TO THE ER RIGHT NOW!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• SORRY- iPUSHED THE WRONG KEY...YOU JUST DESCRIBED A BLOOD CLOT. I have had 3 and a swollen area that is hot is a blood clot. Call now.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• WHOA! It could MAYBE be a blood clot, not definately IS. There are many other things it could be, a blood clot is only one of the very less likely ones. Call the doctor's office and talk to the nurse on call, or take her to the ER. Drive reasonably, she is NOT going to keel over dead in the next 5 minutes!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My son has had Cellulitis 4 times on his legs. The symptoms of Cellulitis is a red swollen area in one spot that has a small hole in the middle. It looks like an infected mosquito bite, Cellulitis will swell up, pus, and be hot to the touch and bright red. My son got a triple antibiotic cream, and amoxycillin for 10 days. if its that your baby needs medical attention, it could spread and get into the blood supply.
    JessicaRangel

Answer by JessicaRangel at 12:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008