Help! I can't get her to sleep on her own

We live in a duplex with "thin" walls. I have been trying to get my 6-week old daughter to sleep on her own in the bassenet or crib but all she does is cry. Even if I pick her up and soothe her first then put her down she starts crying. Its always between the hours of 8-10 and she won't stop crying till midnight. We end up sleeping on the couch together, but I need to wean her away from me. Any suggestions?

Michellerwest

Asked by Michellerwest at 5:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're putting her on her back, is she swaddled? A lot of babies need a tight swaddling, I've heard.

Mine wouldn't sleep on their backs for anything. Not to mention...when they spit up they choked on it, so they all slept on their bellies. The oldest went from sleeping for 10 minutes at a time to sleeping 3 hours.

However...she is only 6 weeks. She's not expected to sleep very well, to be honest. She also could be developing colic (but if she can be soothed, not likely)...or this could be her witching hour, too.

She could be changing her schedule, need more to eat, going through a growth spurt, getting ready to pick up a new skill (mine started rolling)....

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• It may be colic. Both my daughters started having colic around 3 weeks. They usually get fussy at a certain tiime during the day. I found colic drops at target which is all natural. You might want to try them see if it helps. I also had a swing from fisherprice that could swing both directions. Often babies with colic perfer sitting up versus laying down.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 6:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• are you swaddling her? babies like to be held because it represents the tight and cramped area of the womb - and swaddling will make them feel the same way.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Why do you need to wean her away from you? For your benefit.

Can you really expect a 6 week old to sleep on their own.

Humans are one of the only mammels on the earth that do not have any protection if they are left on their own (baby wise). So babys are actually fearlful of being eaten. You may be aware that the house is safe etc but your baby isnt.

Just sleep with her.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried a putting her to sleep in a bouncer or with some white noise? She is still fresh out of the womb she still doesnt really understand what this big scary place is and why she isnt super close to mommy at all times anymore! I would try some white noise cd's or putting her to sleep in a bouncer swaddled tightly with it vibrating!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• my daughter did that i bought a teddy bear that has this mothers heart beat thing inside of it and it got her to sleep on her own and still to this day if she wont sleep i can turn it on and she will fall asleep to it
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• What does that mean wean her away from you?? She is 6 weeks she spent 9 months close to you and now you want her away from you? I guess I am confused most babies that young have strange sleep patterns. I agree with the pp about swaddling her

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• What about cosleeping? From the night my son was born, he refused to sleep anywhere but with DH or me. He also hated being swaddled.
    Every now and then, he'll fall asleep during tummy time or in the swing, but other than that, he insists on being with us. He's 4 months now. I am about to start trying to get him to at least nap in his crib, but he's got a cold right now, so once that's gone, then I can work on the crib. Try laying her down when she's drowsy, but not yet asleep. She may just not be ready to be away from you. Try to be patient with her.
    I love cosleeping. I love waking up next to my son's sweet little face. But I plan to move him to the crib once he's no longer nursing during the night.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008