Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know general rules for Colorado custody/child support laws?

My child's father has not been part of the pregnancy at all and he lives 1000 miles away from us. I am giving him a DNA test when she is born (no question in my mind), but I need to know how to try and get full custody and maybe even child support. Just looking for a little advice.

Answer Question

Asked by MissMaryAnn0129 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • it dotn matter were u live. if hasnt harmed you or the baby, you cant keep the baby from him. if he really hasnt done any phyiscal or mental harm. you will have to go to court and get a child support order adn if dotn pay it over a period of tiem then they will probably take his rights away

    Answer by vadasmom at 6:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • You need to speak with a lawyer. You can have full, physical custody, but he will probably have visitation rights. You do need to obtain a court order for child support for your protection. A written or oral agreement other than a court order isn't likely to hold up should he decide not to pay.

    Only a lawyer in your state, with family law expertise can tell you what you need to do. Each case is specific and different.

    Good luck!

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • DivorceNet - Colorado Child Custody FAQ's

    Sep 30, 2005 ... File a contempt action to collect child support. ... State resources. Colorado Child Custody FAQ's Colorado Child Support FAQ's ...

    Answer by vbruno at 7:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • Colorado Child Custody Laws

    Find out more about general child custody laws. If your divorce is uncontested, we would love to ... Colorado Child Custody Laws Colorado Child Support Laws ... -

    Answer by vbruno at 7:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • Talk to an attorney. Just because he is the child's father doesn't mean he has "rights." It goes state by state. In GA, the father has to fight for visitation or he doesn't get visitation whether he pays CS or not.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:32 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.