Should he listen to "No" yet?

My son is 14 1/2 months old and doesn't listen to the word No what-so-ever, no matter what tone of voice I (or his father) use...Is this normal? Should I expect him to stop what he's doing when he hears this word or am I trying to get him to listen too young? I need some help, I'm going crazy.

jtgraham

Asked by jtgraham at 3:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with using his name first. My home is very loud so yelling NO isn't gonna work around here. We have to use my son's name first to get his attention and then tell him NO. Good luck with everything! He will catch on soon enough.
    adeuslove07

Answer by adeuslove07 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• maybe try saying his name then no. my dd has the tendency to block out everything that she ISNT focused on.
    so we say "Brie NO" and she hears the correlation between her name and the command and it clicks. but that not to say she will listen even at age 3. good luck
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• He's in the early stages of learning what you mean. He will probably understand the word by 18 months - but he wont' always listen!
    For now, repeat, repeat, repeat.
    Try not to use "NO" too much though - use "Danger" for dangerous things.
    When he goes after whatever it is again moments later, either take it away or move him to another room.
    Whenever possible, give him something positive to do instead -"NO. No hitting the dog. Bang on this pot."
    Try to say "YES" whenever you can. "Yes! Banging on the toy drum is nice."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• He should know whaT NO means by now. My oldest daughter was asked to babysit two children, the kids were around 5 and 7. When my daughter arrived the mother explained to my daughter that they had never heard the word no, to please phrase her remarks in a fashion without using the word NO. I told her she was never babysitting there again. My daughter at the time I believe was about 15, I told her that was to much responsibility for a teenager. Maybe I'm ole school but the parents 'reason' way too much with children these days.
    s.c.a.r.l.e.t.

Answer by s.c.a.r.l.e.t. at 4:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• No is a concept, not just a word, it should be getting thru, not all the time but they should start to have some idea.
    Anonymous