I'm having trouble getting my 3 week old to latch on to the breast and i get really frustrated because i want to breast feed so bad. Any tips on how to maybe help her latch on?

k-MoMmY0625

Asked by k-MoMmY0625 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter was the same then i let her suckle my nipples alot and touch them with her hands, once she knew the milk was there she really took my nipples and made me feel so good, also try maybe feeding naked too.
    Anonymous

• I had LOTS of problems and ended up giving up.
    Look in your phone book or call the maternity ward up and get a number for a Lacation Consultant. I really wish I had done so but I was so sore and so stressed that I quit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I had the same problem. I had horrible swelling after my pregnancy in my legs, breasts, and hands. It also caused a hard time breastfeeding my new baby boy. He would cry if I tried to feed him because he would get so frustrated by trying to feed off a swollen breast. First off, try feeding her w.o a shirt. Wierd, I know, but it helps not having clothing in the way when you're new at breastfeeding. I also had to use Medela nipple shields at first to get him to latch on my my swollen boob. It helped a little but main thing was that he latched better as soon as the swelling went down. If you're engorged, it can make it harder. If that's the case, pump VERY little so that you're not so full. If you're still having problems, consult a lactation specialist. Good luck!! I hope it works out for you.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I agree. You can use the internet to find a midwife (www.midwife.org is one spot) or a doula (www.dona.org) in your area. They can talk to you over the phone, email, or meet with you to identify what might help. It really is so worth any effort you make to establish breastfeeding. La Leche League is a good place to start, too. They are committed to helping you out.
    (My photo here on the left is of our oldest in the middle of nursing! ) Good luck!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I'll try to explain it. First, take off your shirt... much easier. Relax. Rub your nipple on the baby's cheek, to get her rooting. Place your hand under your breast, lift it up, with the nipple pointing down, and flatten your nipple between your first and second finger, to get it in her mouth. Make sure you give her the WHOLE nipple, AND ariola. It seems like a lot for a tiny mouth, but your nipple and ariola need to be in her mouth.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 3:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• stay calm you both have to be relaxed. it's hard for everyone at first if you think you may be doing something wrong call a lactation consultant. the hospital should be able to give you some numbers or if there is a wic office near you they have laction consultants and a suport group
    gimmietherapy

Answer by gimmietherapy at 3:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Mine wouldn't latch either, the nurse at the hospital had me lay there and she brought me a syringe with a lil hose and formula in it, and would have him latch on and give a lil formula at a time since he would drink that and eventually he finally latched on and let me tell you I was sore.
    Pghpagirl

Answer by Pghpagirl at 5:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• make sure to get the nipple in really far to activate their reflex to suckle, it was way farther back than i thought it would be.
    that helped me a lot.
    if i would've known the nurse would grab my nipple and shove it in her mouth, i would've had some words before hand. but it really did help get her latched!
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• My lactation consultants gave me a nipple shield to help him nurse. It really helped and he weaned himself off the shield at 2 mo of age.
    jenn.hedlund

Answer by jenn.hedlund at 7:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2008