Do I have to provide clothes for the weekend when my son goes to his dad's house?

I have a sole custody of our son. My ex did not have much interest first 5 years but lately he started to spend more and more time with him. Our son is now 8 and he spends 6 out of 14 days with his dad. My ex said that I HAVE TO provide clothes for our son when he goes to his house since he pays child support. Is it true? I did not mind to send extra clothes at first, but I am tired of it being lost (2 jaskets never came back, they were left at the gym and somewhere else), getting it back dirty and with the comments that it was wrong clothes for the weather, cheap clothes, etc. I thought I have to provide clothes, food, toys, etc in my house for my son, but my ex keeps telling me I have to provide it in his house too - clothes that is. I need to know if it is true and where it is going to go next. Do I have to pay for a food and toys in my ex's house as well?

Mom2277

Asked by Mom2277 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• You should not have to. He needs to have his own wardrobe for his son.

You are not entitled to send your child to his FATHERS house with clothes. He can easily to to a thrift store & buy him all new wardrobe for under $30. His reasoning is ridiculous...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• I think your ex is just being an ass. Just because he pays child support doesn't mean he doesn't need to have things for your son in his house.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Nope.

If you decide to because you are nice, make sure to have a list of things and check each item off when he comes home.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• No, that's not true. I don't send my 2 girls to their dad's with anything.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Check your parenting plan. These things should have been addressed in your parenting plan when you drafted it.

And no, you don't have to. If it's not in there, tell him to eff off.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 12:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• No, you don't have to. I had this problem when I first got divorced. My son's grandmother bought him so many clothes I just sent a wardrobe over to his dad's and we never sent clothes. He just wore what was there.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 1:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• yes you should be packing his cloths to go with him, for your childs sake.... but if it doesn't come back he should be replacing what he's let your son loose!!! If he doesn't like what you send he can buy him more if he wishes, but that does NOT change the amount of child support he pays!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Tell him to stop being so cheap! It is his son regardless if he pays child support or not. He should want to do nice things for his son, like buiyng clothes and toys. What an idiot!
    littleangie

Answer by littleangie at 12:56 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• I would take him back to court with a revised parenting plan.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 1:01 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Nope. The CS is not for your son either. It is to help with his expenses: food, clothing, house, school supplies, utilities. It is not to buy him an unlimited amount of toys and he doesn't have to thank his father for the child support he sends. As for the clothes, after he stopped sending the clothes home I would stop sending clothes there. At lest YOU tried...
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2011