Can Anyone Tell me What Mincemeat is?

ok seriously... What the hell is mincemeat? I had some today and it's ok.. but I'd really like to know what the hell I'm eating! lol so if anyone knows.. please! Enlighten me! and if it's not made with meat products then why the hell is called MINCEMEAT?

MyIslandGirls

Asked by MyIslandGirls at 6:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Just for Fun

• In my family we use deer meat. But I have no clue if that's the real way to make it.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 6:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Mincemeat is a mixture of chopped dried fruit, distilled spirits and spices, and sometimes beef suet, beef, or venison ~ according to wikipedia.

My dad doesn't like it and used to tell us when we were kids that it was crushed up bugs!
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• it usually has meat in it... but is on the sweeter side, has raisins or currants, and apples in it. yuck
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Web definitions for mincemeat

spiced mixture of chopped raisins and apples and other ingredients with or without meat
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn - Definition in context
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• So i asked my hubby when he got home from work (he's a chef) what it was.. and he said a mix of fruits usually. And when i asked if you could put actual meat in it.. he gave me this look like i was nuts! then said "why would you want to! eww!" lol

So i guess mincemeat is different for each family and while I think it's ok, I don't think I'll be putting it on my list of Faves.. lol
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 9:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• It is minced fruit, sometimes nuts, brandy/rum...most mincemeats used to contain suet (meat, fat) - but now most commercial brands are just the fruit etc.
    debscards

Answer by debscards at 6:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010