How can we get him to stop pooping in the closet?!

He just turned 3 and he pee's in a potty but poops in the closet!

Asked by mishkaa at 1:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There should be signs that tell you he needs to go. When you see them, take him to the bathroom. This means you may have to follow him around constantly for some time. At 3 years old he is old enough to understand the difference between good and bad behavior. Scold him when he goes in the closet and reward him very much if he goes in the potty. Try making it a game.

Answer by QueenWeibchen at 2:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I had problems with my 3 yr old have you tried rewards? ai use to give mine money everytine he pottied (pooped). anywhere from 1.00 to change. Then he could take the money and go buy a toy from the dollar store. I paid him maybe 4 - 5 times and it just caught on.

Answer by trahtina at 2:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i cannot answer as I am laughing too hard! ... I am sorry. I feel your pain. My son saw the dog go poo in the corner..and now he wants to be like the dog. Oh boy, aren't kids funny!...Is he embarrased with going on the potty. My 5 year old wants his privacy. I guess Ya need to ask him "Why?"...why the closet. If that is where he feels the most comfortable or secluded maybe put a potty chair in there for him. It would be better than cleaning it up off of the floor. LOL...or keep that door locked and when you see him heading there re-direct him to the bathroom. good luck!!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Maybe it is the privacy thing, or maybe he likes the closet because he thinks of it as his own safe zone. Putting the potty chair in there for a while might make it easier on you.

Answer by gypsysmiles at 12:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2008