How long should he sit on the potty

Ok so am potty training my DS who just turned two last month, he is showing all the readniess signs. My question is when i put him on the potty how long do I make him sit there if dosn't potty, do I keep him there untill he dose go? I had him on the potty today for 30 min and he hadn't gone. What if i try to take him and he is already wet, how do i handle that? Please please i need hellllppp

Codragonfly

Asked by Codragonfly at 6:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say no more than 5 minutes. You don't want him to get where he hates sitting there. I used to ask my son if he was done and usually he would say yes. Then we would talk about how he better not pee pee in his pants.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 6:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• i usually did 15 to 20 minutes every two hours. i would give them a book to look at. it takes time to get the point. i use to use a dixie cup of warm water and pour inbetween their legs so they got the idea of the sound if they had already wet and then tell next i want you to make that sound. it took time but they got it. also just ask him every 15 minutes, do you got to go to the potty? i also used bear in the big blue house potty video too.
    southernlady184

Answer by southernlady184 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• Don't make him sit on the potty at all. Get him a potty. Show him the videos, read the books, talk about it . Offer him the opportunity to sit on the potty. If he wants to great if not that's fine to. Ask him a couple of times a day if he wants to sit on his potty. (especially when you go) Eventually it will click. But if you force the issue it then becomes a battle of wills and take so much longer. Just fo with the flow. Give him the tools then follow his lead. Keep in mind average age for a boy to be 100% potty trained is 4. You have plenty of time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:22 PM on Aug. 12, 2011

• I put him on the toilet about every thirty minutes and wait just for a minute or two. He caught on very quick because I used STICKERS as a reward for peeing and pooping in the potty and he LOVED LOVED LOVED Stickers. One sticker for peeing,,,and a whole handful for poops.. MAGIC!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:30 PM on Aug. 13, 2011