Whats RSV?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• RSV means Respiratory Syncytial Virus. It's a nasty virus ofr young babies to get. It causes very snotty noses, cough, wheezing, high fevers.... it can lead to pneumonia. It can cause dehydration because the baby can't breath well enough to eat. Many young babies end up in the hospital every year.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My son had it at 11 months and was in the hospital for 4 days. It was AWFUL!!!!
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 9:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My youngest had it at 5 weeks of age. He was in the PICU for a week. My other sons were about 1 year and 3 at the time...they also had it but stayed at home.

It does not always come with a fever. None of my boys had a fever, even the one in the hospital.

Kids don't always end up in the hospital with it, but it is nasty and scary.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• RSV is a virus very similiar to the cold, but can be pretty serious in small babies. My son got it when he was 8 days old and spent almost a month in PICU on a vent and then another month at home on oxygen as he got a very severe case of RSV last winter (and was so young). The virus produces such a thick mucus that is clogs up a small babies' airways causing difficulty breathing. So, if you suspect your baby has RSV, the only thing you can really do is make them as comfortable as possible (sleeping in a swing or carseat and using a vaporizer may help) and then watch them carefully for any signs of respiratory distress. If you start to suspect he/she is having trouble breathing, take them to the ER immediately. The smaller/newer the baby, the smaller the airways are going to be.
    julesr475

Answer by julesr475 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• my lil girl had it jus last week and i jus gave her breathing treatments at home and she is doing great!!!
    Brinkleysmommy1

Answer by Brinkleysmommy1 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 28, 2008