Is it ok that my 16 month old isn't talking yet?

All my friends with babies that are his age and even younger are already talking. He goes to a daycare where they speak mostly Spanish and I heard that if babies hear more than one language it can take them longer to talk, but I don't know if that's true. Is he ever going to talk??

Kristyn87

Asked by Kristyn87 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dunno..obviously he will talk but if he hears spanish all day then its prolly confusing him..my dd is 19 months and speaks really well,..she can say 25+words..so maybe hes confused about hearing 2 diff languages.
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My dd is 3 and has a speech delay. I knew something was wrong when she was about 18 months old. He is still pretty young to make a determination. Just keep a eye on him and sing and talk to him as much as you can. If you are still worried about it when he is closer to 2 years old.....mention it to your pediatrician. If he qualifies he can receive speech therapy free through the state.....but dont worry yet mom....he is probably fine ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Boys are usually slower than girls i dont know what to say about the spanish thing that might confuse him a little but he is only 16 months i wouldnt worry to much yet
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My 16 month old daughter is just starting to talk really....
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Usually if they hear more than one language they have better language skills.
    I would bring it up with your pediatrician... I would have his hearing checked just in case.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I took my daughter to a brain specialist for delays in certain developements. He told me that he never spoke a word until he was 4 Years Old, on the way home from the hospital with mom who just had a baby girl. His words were "The baby doesn't talk".
    Brain Specialist.
    KimPepperoni

Answer by KimPepperoni at 10:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My son is 18 months old and can only say uh oh, up and wow lol! Just keep working with him..and narrate his day.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Children talk on their own schedule - just like other developmental milestones. There are some general rules, but those are not absolute. Children who are in a multi-lingual situation actually develop more language skills than those who hear only one language. The important issue is that they hear the same language from the same person. You should have your pediatrician do an assessment or make a referral to a speech specialist if you are really concerned there may be an underlying medical issue. If everything else is normal - he will talk when he is good and ready.
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 12:05 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My son took sometime as well all children are different he says alot now but still has problems with prounciation. Just keep at it with books and all im sure he will be fine. As far as the language thing it will not affect him. My father moved to germany when i was a child and started a family there. He had a daughter (my sis) and she was around 3 languages german her mother and siblings main one, english my fathers, and spanish their neighbors. she could speak all of them at 2!
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:19 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• all babies develope at different rates...
    but babies can learn up to 19 different languages very easily with no problems so him hearing spanish isn't a problem...it is actually good. I think he is fine, Im not an expert. But also might not have anything to say, maybe all of his needs are being met when they need to be so he sees no reason to ask for anything...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:17 AM on Dec. 24, 2008