YES VIRGINIA THERE IS A SANTA!! WHY IS IT OK TO LIE TO THEM ABOUT THIS STUFF??

SERIOUSLY? WE PARENTS TELL OUR CHILDREN THAT LYING TO US AND OTHERS IS WRONG!!!

NO QUESTIONS ASKED WRONG!

THEN WHERE DO WE GET OFF LYING TO THEM???
SERIOUSLY????
HOW CAN YOU JUSTIFY THAT??

JESUSCARES4YOU2

Asked by JESUSCARES4YOU2 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Holidays

• When my 11 yr old turned to me and said "you lied to me" I cut the santa idea right there.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I don't lie to my children. I tell them st. nicholas WAS a real man but there is no real Santa Claus. They are allowed to pretend he's real (they also pretend Incredible Hulk is real) but I don't play along. They know the reason our family chooses to celebrate this season.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• When Orion, my oldest, became old enough to be told that there's a Santa (and easter bunny and tooth fairy) we struggled with what we were going to do. If we told him that there was no Santa then he would get confused when his friends told him there was one. Same with the tooth fairy.

He's very inquisitive and is always asking so many questions about them (we didn't tell him about the easter bunny because we don't celebrate easter. Though we do hide eggs on the Spring Equinox). I hate lying to him but at the same time I love the wonder in his eyes.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I felt the same way till i read an article on children who were always told the truth and children who were "lied" to... these children had a much bigger imagination than the children who were told the truth. I have to choose imagination over knowledge... same as Einstein.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be lying to my daughter. I believe in Santa Claus :) so there.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I agree how is it a lie ?

There is a Santa, he lives in all of us. He is any person who donates a needy child a toy, drops of food at a shelter for Christmas dinner, sends someone a card and smile, he is the person at the mall who makes a child's face light up with joy and wonder.

Sneaking gifts for your children to hide under the tree is Santa, and when they get older and find out the "secret" then they get excited to share in the joy that we can all be Santa. How amazing is that ? To know you have the power to bring happiness to a person. That is what Santa is about.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 9:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I believe that is a part of our problem as parents of this generation. We want our children to grow up way too quickly. It's Santa...not anything that could later traumatize your child. Most children who grow up believing in Santa grow out of it in their own time. If you choose not to partake in the wonder that Santa instills in a believer than that's your choice but to tell another parent that it is an abuse of the child's trust...that's out of line.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• You quoted the 'Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' letter in your subject line... and I agree wholeheartedly with that. The letter goes on to say (I'm paraphrasing but you can look it up online) that as surely as there is generosity and kindness in the world there is Santa Claus. He is a metaphor for selfless giving without expectation of reward. Right now my kids believe in Santa as a literal truth... when they get older they will be able to believe in Santa as a metaphor for random acts of kindness and giving.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Did you believe in Santa when you were little? What's the harm in something that brings them so much joy? Parents these days take all the fun out of the fun holidays....christmas and halloween...it's ridiculous. We got to have fun and believe in that stuff...leave them be and be kids
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 9:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Children have plenty of time to have their dreams and fairytales crushed-what's your hurry?Is there a study somewhere I missed that said"children who believe in santa, or the easter bunny, turn into lying, unbalanced adults"? did I miss that one? If that is the biggest issue in your life, worrying about lying to kids about sants-I'll trade you anyday.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2008