To the co-sleeping mommies with at least 2 kids

I currently co sleep with my 16 month old ds. He sleeps thru the night now thank god! But I am 10 weeks pregnant and I know that you have to keep newborns in the room with you. I am going to be moving in with their father in a new place in just a couple months. I was wondering, should I stop co sleeping with him? What can I do? I don't want the newborn to wake him up but I am not wanting to kick him out of bed yet either? What have you done?

babygirl9304627

Asked by babygirl9304627 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are right it isn't fair for the new baby to keep him up at night, he needs his sleep. The best thing to do is get him in his own room. I would try to get him excited about getting a "big boy" bed that is just his, let him pick out the blanket, sheets, and pillow. Also if he is going to be getting his own room when you move, let him have some say in the color (you pick a few you like and let him choose from those). And explain to him that the new baby isn't taking his place...and that it is best for him to be in his new big boy room, and that mommy still loves him. This is also going to be hard for you...prepare your self, your bed will feel so empty
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:20 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My daughter had started co-sleeping again when I was pregnant...actually, *both* of them did. We first moved them to our floor and eventually to their rooms but of course, they occassionally did (and do) come back. Your big kid will need the same comfort regardless of the new baby, and there are plenty of ways to make it all work...it's just finding the one that works for you guys. Try putting the toddler bed by yours and letting the baby sleep with you. Or, get an arm's reach cosleeper for the baby so they aren't actually *in* your bed, but right there by it and have your bigger child sleep on the opposite side.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 2:44 AM on Dec. 24, 2008