sippy cup instead of a bottle???

my dd is 9 weeks and has never had a bottle. everyone keeps telling me that she will have to take one eventually but i dont think she would have to. i mean im a SAHM and im with her 24/7 i BF in public so why would she need a bottle? but i do kinda feel bad bc my dh was saying how he cant wait for her to start baby food so he could feed her. i thought bout skippin the bottle and maybe giving her a sippy cup so he can feed her (even tho he says he understands me not wantin to give her a bottle) but still even thinking bout givin her a sippy bugs me,i love bf'ing her and dont like the thought of her feedin from anything else lol

anyone else feel this way? what should i do?

doosti

Asked by doosti at 10:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start feeding her with a bottle too, maybe once a day/night just so she can get used to it. Can you imagine if for some reason, you were unable to bf her anymore? It would be terribly difficult to get her to take a bottle. The longer you wait, the more set in her ways she will become. I bf exclusively too but my husband gave my son a bottle of my milk at night before bed. It was their 'guy time' and allowed my husband the chance to connect with him on a different level too.
    Anonymous

• We do something similar to the pp's. Before I went back to work my husband would give the first night feeding and it was there special "bonding". I think so often dad's aren't able to bond the same with their baby because they think only mom can feed the baby.... and your husband would really like to participate. Let him join you in the joy of feeding your daughter. She will always prefer you over a plastic bottle. We use the breastflow bottles and they work great.
    In addition to bonding for your husband, it also offers the opporunity down the road to go out on dates or with friends or whatever...
    If you choose to give her something... I would do a bottle at this age.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Using a bottle isn't that bad. Your baby is past the point of potentially having nipple confusion. Sippy cups are hard to use for a baby that hasn't even used a bottle before. We are trying to transition slowly to a sippy. I am a believer that baby's should be off bottle before they are one. But the bottle does allow daddy to bond with the baby a little. I would consider it. It will give you a break where you may be able to go out with some friends without a baby attached to you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I understand about not wanting to use a bottle. Using a sippy cup and just going past the bottle i think would be fine. But you would want to use a cup that has a stop on it so the child doesnt end up with to much coming out and choking. I have to say though i do agree that using a bottle is a nice way to get out without having the child stuck on ya. I use to pump and freeze and actually my husband liked that bc he was able to feed my son as well.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:05 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• my daughter never took a bottle but she did start using a sippy cup at around 6 months.
    if you exclusively breastfeed then there's really no reason to introduce a bottle, you can go right to a sippy cup.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:54 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My son refused a bottle, but started on a sippy at 7 months. My husband just did other things to help out because our breastfeeding relationship was obviously the most important thing. I'm pretty sure he enjoyed sleeping through the night while I got up to nurse. lol Don't force the bottle, not that they will get nipple confusion at this age, but if they start to prefer the easy & quickness of a bottle, you might have a hard time going back to the breast.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• my husband started saying that a week after our daughter was born and i broke down and let her have a bottle and she stopped wanting breast milk and it went bad and so my husband got his wish because i felt like a horrible mom i made him feed her at night even though he had to work but my doctor told me that i shouldnt have stoped breast feeding her no matter what my husband wanted cause it comfused her
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2008