Exclusively Pumping!

I was wondering if there were any mom's that exclusively pump. I am for reasons that work for my family. I have been pumping for almost 6 months now. I am taking fenugreek, and blessed thistle 4 tablets 3 times a day and I eat oatmeal every morning. I pump any where from 6-12 times a day. Is there anything else that I can do to get my supply up. I am producing 13-14 ounces and my dd took down 29 today. We are supplementing with Formula for 4 weeks now and I want her off that crap. Any extra help would be greatly appreciated.

coala

Asked by coala at 10:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Side note in October I was producing about 22 ounces a day before I went on birthcontrol (mini pill). When I discovered that this was the reason I stopped immediately.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• You could call a nutritionist, they would know. I know you need to increase your calories, but I am not sure by how much.-I am just learning about bf myself because I plan to start w/this baby in may. it could also be that your milk is just tapering off, it happens to some women unfortunantly, and there are formulas out there that are fantastic. It is important to eat healthy of course but that doesn't produce more milk(just healthy milk) try increasing your calories-maybe with supplement shakes.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I tried exclusively pumping after my son stopped breastfeeding and unfortunately it just doesn't work like the "real thing" and your milk will continue to decrease. I wish I had better news for you.
    Anonymous

• Also drink lots of water (you probably already know that) and I would be as consistant as possible with the pumping (every 2hrs)
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• You're doing great...while it is true that a pump can't compare to a baby's suckling, there are wonderful pumps that get the job done...I pumped exclusively for a month and a half....drink fluids and up your calories....relax and think about your baby, that'll help with the letdown and releasing more milk from the ducts....DH had to massage my breasts sometimes while I was pumping, so try massage or a warm compress...is there any way you can breastfeed??
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Wow! Pumping 6-12 times a day!!!??? I admire you!

I let my supply fizzle down to nothing recently. I just couldn't manage it anymore. When I quit I was pumping 3 times a day and only getting 1-3 oz. per session.

No advice here since I failed at being able to keep my supply up with my DD's demand. I just wanted to say that YOU ARE AWESOME!
    jenluv37

Answer by jenluv37 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• 6-12 times a day is an incredible effort! How do you find the time with an infant in the house. I pumped and breastfed. I didn't even think of pumping exclusively. My sister had premie twin boys and she pumped exclusively for the first 2 months of their lives because they were unable to nurse. She had to drink a gallon of milk and eat 3400 calories per day to keep hers going. I know she was working with a lactation specialist at the time. When I pumped I could fill an 8 ounce bottle with each breast - but that was when I was at the office and couldn't nurse......I know that some communities have breastmilk banks --- a friend of mine who had great supply donated to one while she was nursing her 4th child.
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 12:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• wow...thats ALOT of pumping!! my DD couldn't latch on properly even after lots of visits to the LCs. so i pumped exclusively, but i was completely tapped out by 2 months. im talking pumping every hour & only getting 3 oz.

i dont have any advice, just wanted to say good luck & that youre amazing for sticking w/ it!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:32 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• i don't have very much experience with pumping at all let alone pumping exclusively.
    however, i do know that many moms have issues maintaining a supply when only pumping.
    the reason is that baby drains and stimulates the breast more effectively than the pump.
    it's awesome you've gone six months, congrats!!
    here are some links that might be of some help:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bf-links-excpumping.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2008