My 16 month old is biting. He bit my neighbors 9 year old son and broke the skin and it bled. I don't know how to get him to stop.....HELP!!!!

Marni1969

Asked by Marni1969 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My BFF bit as a LO. My brother defended me by making her a glass of "kool-Aid" which was really Tabasco sauce and water. Needless to say, she never bit again! LOL

My brother was about 10 yrs old at the time, so he got in trouble for it - but the end result was she never bit again. She and I continued to be friends and still are today. We had my brother visiting for Xmas one year and he's a little guy - 5' 7" and about 130#. SHE on the other hand is 5' 10" and about 400#. It was hilarious to see his face when we "reminded" him of the little "kool-Aid" trick he did on her! He was like "OH MAN!! I am SORRY!!" LMAO!!!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Biting can be a very hard behavior to break. My middle daughter was a biter and it took a long time to get her to quit. We tried about everything we could think of. The only thing that really worked with her was time-out away from the rest of us. The incidents would always really upset her and it would take her a long time to calm down. I think the techniques need to match the personality of the child. I wouldn't try a method that could hurt the child - tabasco, biting back, etc. the goal is to get the child to understand that it hurts the other person and for them to learn empathy - not injury.
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 11:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• since 90% of the population spank there kids (truth even if you dont admit it), My DD kept biting me in the boob (she is 2.5) when she did that i shocked her by hitting her mouth. I didnt smack her hard or anything but just enough to shock her. She doesnt do it now.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 8:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I don't know what most parents do... when I was little my mom bit me back! Just once... I still remember it! LOL it's all it took to get me to stop.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:12 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• The truth is - they don't know how it feels...when you bite someone else it doesn't hurt the biter. I remember a little girl bit me when I was 19 and I took her arm and bit her back - it solved the parent's problem - she never bit again. I would start with the time out and if they bite you - really cry and show how it hurts.....you can always talk to them and show them how it feels but doing it when they are not upset.
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 5:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I did spank him on the tush 3 times, and he looked at me like I killed his dog. He is still doing it. The biggest problem is that he bites himself when I say no bite. I haven't seen him go after anyone else, but he still bites himself! Not sure how to stop that one. Obviously biting him back after he bites himself won't work, and my therapist wants me to get him a pacifier. He has never taken a pacifier in his life and I refuse to start that now. Thanks for all the suggestions but if anyone has one for a self biter let me know!
    Marni1969

Answer by Marni1969 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 25, 2008