What was the first day home like with your new baby?

I am expecting and I was wondering what the first day/night was like when you bring home the baby. I do not have any other kids, well, just a collie and a cat :P

mikko2285

Asked by mikko2285 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I swear this question was asked this morning?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My baby never cried the whole time we were at the hospital. When we got home he slept until all of the visitors left. Then he cried and cried and cried. And then he cried some more, and then I cried. He stopped crying around two in the morning. And then he started again at six. I'm not trying to scare you but you asked. If at all possible, have someone else (besides your SO) come stay with you the first night. I hope you don't have this experience, but if you do, the extra person will come in handy. At least this way, if baby seems inconsolable, you can all take turns sleeping and being up with the baby. Good luck and congratulations!!!!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• They didn't tell me the pain pills would make me sleepy, I ended up passing out and my husband couldn't wake me. I would stir but wouldn't wake up. When I finally woke up it was around 1am (we left the hospital at 6pm). Hubby was on the phone with my mom crying cause the baby wouldn't sleep, I wouldn't wake up, and the baby was crying. We had never been around babies before so we both kinda was way over our heads. We can laugh about it now, 8 months later, but at the time it was so scary and overwhelming.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 10:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• It was a little overwhelming at first. Even though he was a full term healthy baby, neither of us had really cared for an infant and were worried we would break him or accidentally do something to cause him harm. He woke up every couple hours to eat and then he would go back to sleep. Swings or comfy vibrating baby chairs help sooth fussiness, but I felt like I never slept for the first three months of his life. My three kitties were afraid of him, and one of them even hissed at him. It took some getting used to but they all get along now.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 11:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• We were planning on having my mom come over, but we changed that (I'm sure she was disappointed, but we needed the alone time). We just ordered in and chilled on the couch and played with our son. We just had some nice family time and went to bed early. It's such an overwhelming change, so try to go easy on yourself for the first couple of days. Limit visitors and rest when you can.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Stressful! Its very true that at the hospital the nurses do everything. My son had breathing problems and started to gasp for air in his sleep...Scared me so bad that I called my Mom and burst into tears when she walked in. But it does get easier. I kept thinking "How can people think this is hard??" I loved it!
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 1:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2008