What exactly is Deja Vu?

I always thought it was when you get that feeling of familiarity out of nowhere. Like you see something and for a split second it feels like you've been there before even though you know you haven't. But my friend said it's when you think of something happening and then later it happens. What do you consider it to be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I don't know. I do know I have "memories" of things happening while they are unfolding, and I more times then not I know whats about to happen next. I seem to be able to have a "grasp" on the "memory" and can actually remember having the thought. .... get it? : ]
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 11:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• psychology definition: the illusion of having already experienced something actually being experienced for the first time.
    an impression of having seen or experienced something before.(.'old timers watched the stock market crash with a sense of 'deja vu' .")
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• The first. Your friends definition is what I'd call foresight. JMO though
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I read once that they (whoever they are) think it is the brain messing up and linking an event that is happening to an unrelated memory which makes everything seem familiar. Sounds good to me because that is what it feels like when it happens to me. I don't believe there is anything supernatural behind it. I believe it is more of a short circuit in the brain.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• both
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:20 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• RIGHT FROM THE DICTIONARY : a feeling of having experienced something before, although in fact it is the first time that it has been experienced
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Your friend is wrong. You are right. You can tell her "nanner, nanner, nanner" if you want.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:03 PM on Dec. 24, 2008