3cm dilated and 60% effaced, how much more time do I have?

I'm 38 weeks and 3cm dilated and 60% effaced as of Monday. I've heard that some women stay dilated for a while without any progress. I haven't been having any regular contractions but was wondering if it will be soon?

xxprittykittyxx

Asked by xxprittykittyxx at 11:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You will probably go into labor sometime in the next 4 weeks. :) Seriously, no one can tell you. 38-42 weeks is normal gestation. Your dilation and effacement is not a good indicator of when you will go into labor. Hang in there.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• not to discourage you but i was 2cm and 75% effaced the last month of my pregnancy then was in the early stage of labor for the last week and a half and still went a week over and had to get induced. pretty much the baby will come when its ready could be today or not for a couple weeks
    Anonymous

• sorry, no one knows I was about that and didn't go early, but you could.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 11:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• With your 2nd one you tend to dialate then efface. Unfortunately it's not a good way to tell when you're going to go into labor. I was dilated to four for 3 weeks and 75% effaced
    Anonymous

• Hard to say.

With my first I was dialated by about 1-2 for weeks, was 10 days overdue, and when I finally DID start labor, it lasted 3 days. With my 2nd, I was dialated 2 for weeks... dr tried stripping my membranes twice... went overdue by 12 days & had a Csection.

So... I wouldn't hold my breath ..... but definitely listen to your body.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I just asked the same question on Friday. And I'm still wondering WTH is going on! LOL. I wish it would go faster than this!! Good luck, I hope you don't have to wait too too long!
    rethink911

Answer by rethink911 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Its not too soon. 38 weeks is considered term. I was dilated to 2 at an appointment on a tuesday went in to the hospital fro preterm labor on a thursday and delivered by sunday so for some women it progresses pretty quickly. It did for me.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• if this is your first child it could be days or even weeks. hell even your second could take forever. both of mine were at least a week past due even though i showed signs of being ready earlier on. id say find something to occupy your time
    learae

Answer by learae at 8:34 AM on Dec. 24, 2008