• In the Spotlight:

What your opinion on spanking? i have a only child and she has been spoiled very much and is used to getttin her way. although i have learned that it was a mistake to even allow her to have whatever she wanted. i am trin to remedy the problem, and when time out don't work i spank her "on her pullup of course" im sure i didn't hurt her mostly scare her. but i feel like an awful mom when i do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• I truly believe there are occassions that a good spank is needed, my daughter would need a small crack about every couple of months, then she would get out of hand again..it works and some need it more so than others. You are not being a bad mother, a bad mother wouldn't care or be concerned.
    s.c.a.r.l.e.t.

Answer by s.c.a.r.l.e.t. at 3:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I agree with the previous post.
    logan-n-kairi

Answer by logan-n-kairi at 4:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• You are not being a bad mother, I got a spanking when I needed and im alive. I think its ok when its needed.
    aishadavid

Answer by aishadavid at 6:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• scarlet is dead on....my son got spanked when he needed it, and stil does....but the child only gets spanked maybe 3 times a year because that is all that is necessarry....and i've NEVER left a mark that lasted more than 24 hours.....of course everyone's perceptions are different...my boyfriend got spanked with extension cords and paddles, but doesnt feel like he was abused in anyway...but i would NEVER do any of that!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 9:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• if the situation calls for it its ok, we got it when we were bad and guess what, i was a good kid, i think there are too many spoiled kids these days and its up to us to keep them in line and not let them get out of hand so if they test the boundries and go there they should have to face the concequences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Spanking is NEVER ok.
    It causes so many issues, even when it "does not hurt".
    A new study actually just came out about children who are spanked and associtating love with pain or hitting. When a child is spanked by a otherwise loving parent they think that is part of love or pleasure, which can be very dangerous.
    Also when you hit your child you are telling them it is OK to hit someone when they are doing something you don't like. And it does not matter how "soft" you hit them, the emotional damage is done.
    Not to mention spanking as been shown to be less effective than other forms of discipline, so why do it? There are many more safer more effective ways to show your child what is right and wrong, and other ways to "punish".
    No pediatrician, psychiatrist, specialist, etc would EVER tell you that spanking in any form is OK to do. Why? BECAUSE IT IS NOT!
    (CONT)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• (CONT)
    Please, just look it up and learn some other ways to deal with the issues you are having. You might also benafit from learning about your child and what to expect from whatever age they are.
    For instance a 3 year old, although may know the difference between right and wrong they may not be able to controll themeslevs. And some children just need a little more time. Also your child might be dealing with something emotional, why don't you talk to your child in a honest, NOT angry way and get to the bottom of the issue. Taking away important things is a great alternative for spanking older children.
    And there are so many more effective things you could be doing, that will not emotionally damage your child.
    (BTW, a lot of parents will never know the damage that spanking did to their child because the issues the child now has a lot of times involves them and a SO)
    Anonymous

• I believe spanking is okay because we all got it when we were kids and look at us we are all alive right? It depends on the offense if you are trying to get her attention maybe try tapping her hand b/c then she can see it and it more hurts her feelings than it does her body. no you are not a bad mom if you are using spanking to teach your child as long as you dont go overboard never spank when you are angry. thats my rule of thumb.
    rebel_mommy88

Answer by rebel_mommy88 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

• I 'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT SPANKING IS BAD....ACCORDING TO WHAT I'VE READ AND HEARD, AND BELIEVE...SPANKING BASICALLY TELLS A CHILD THAT ITS OK TO USE PHYSICAL FORCE TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS, AND CAN LEAD TO VIOLENT BEHAVIOR IN CHILDREN, STARTING EARLY WITH THE HITTING AND PUSHING AROUND OF OTHER KIDS, BECAUSE THEY MIGHT THINK THAT THAT IS THE ONLY WAY THEY ARE GOING TO LISTEN OR GET WHAT THEY WANT....ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THAT WAS INTERESTING
    tandty

Answer by tandty at 7:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2008