Does anyone know...

is there anything I can use to substitute for vanilla extract in baking? I'm a procrastinator and am barely making cookies and ran out of vanilla.

LolosMom

Asked by LolosMom at 12:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You can leave it out, or use whatever flavoring you have...orange extract is a good one. You can sub half as much almond extract (which has a much stronger flavor), or if you have a little vanilla, mix with the almond for an even better flavor. You can also substitute other extracts, or even liqueurs. You can make vanilla yourself, which is often cheaper in the long run, especially if you don't use it very often. Just get some vanilla beans, split them, and put them into a bottle with alcohol: rum, bourbon, or vodka. 6 weeks later, you have a vanilla extract that will be better tasting than the store bought, and will last for years. I make double strength vanilla, and that will last you twice as long since you can use half as much (though I still use the full amount, because I love the flavor! LOL) 6 beans to 1 qt of alcohol is regular strength. I use 11 or 12.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:16 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I found this on www. Ochef.com ,,,,,,,,There certainly is nothing simpler that you are likely to have on hand to take its place. Almond extract, rum, amaretto, Grand Marnier, framboise, or any of dozens of other extracts, essences, brandies, or liqueurs could stand in for vanilla in certain recipes — accentuating and blending flavors. But whereas vanilla is neutral and works in almost any sweet recipe, most of the other possible flavorings have a signature flavor of their own, and you’ll want to be sure the one you choose is compatible with what you’re cooking.

Best of luck : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I use Kahlua all the time instead of vanilla!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• you can leave it out. it's just a bit of flavoring. you can also use any other extracts you may have in the pantry.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2008