How am I going to get through this dreadful party?

On Saturday, I have to go to my BIL's house. His new wife is a witch. I don't say that about many people. Anyway, she has been rude to me on a number of occasions and he follows her orders like a spineless dog with his tail between his legs. I am only going for my husband, but I don't want to spoil it for him and the kids. How can I get through it? It will probably only be about 4 hours long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Holidays

• Apart from the mandatory pleasantries you have to exchange with her because she's the hostess, just try to avoid her while at the party. Talk to people you do like and be unfailingly polite to her. If she tries to engage you or get under your skin, just be as polite as you can. Be Stepford :) She'll have nothing to complain about and you won't be bothered by her bull.
    winterrose82

Answer by winterrose82 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I agree w/pp , say hello, be pleasant and ignore her. Find someone(s) to talk to that is fun and appreciates you...screw sil(I have a nasty one too). Don't let anyone make you feel bad about yourself-let her show everyone what an ass she is while you look kind and graceful for tolerating her lol.Good luck hon.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• DH and I let each other know about the people that bug us and keep each other away from our hot-buttons. If I see someone who makes him itch to wring a neck, I bubble over and ask him whatever comes to mind that will get him out of the situation the fastest. If he sees his mom cornering me, he promptly steps in and lets me know there's an emergency that can only be resolved with my presence. If we see the kids starting to squirm, we find an excuse to get them away from Aunt Hairy Lips (or whatever).
    Thing is, knowing we have an escape plan helps us be more tolerant of the trouble makers. And we have no problem turning to each other and calling for help, as in: Darling, will you come here and help your mom in the kitchen while I go to the bathroom? Or: Son, please go downstairs and find me a (random item that gets him away from tickling uncles). ...maybe something like that will work for you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Dec. 24, 2008