how do I increase breast milk production?

snlwessinger

Asked by snlwessinger at 12:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• Drink plenty of water, you can take natural supplements or a Mother's milk tea, but, ask your Doctor first. Also, your OB can prescribe an rx if all else fails.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 12:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• The absolute best way is to get a high grade breastpump and breastfeed and pump round the clock. This works 100% of the time IF the mother is dedicated which means every two hours either breastfeed or pump. It worked for me. And after my daughter left the NICU I was breastfeeding her and after I was done I had to pump because I had so much and I would end up with 4oz from the breast she drank from (she drank for 20 minutes on 1 breast at a time) and either 9 or 8 oz.s from the other breast. Mt daughter wasn't able to breath on her own from the time she was born unti she was 10 days old and in all that time she wasn't able to breastfeed but she was given my breastmilk via tubes. So I know that you can get yours up with alot of help.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• By the way if you don't have 200 to 300 $s to spend on a high grade pump MOST hospitals rent them for like 25 cents a day. And if you do what I said you wont need it for more then a few weeks not even a month.

Good luck and remember to eat well, of all the food groups, rest as much as you can, and keep hydrated.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Eat healthy and increase your caloric intake. By how much depends on your body and what your doc says. You could contact your local La Leche group or google it for more info.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:11 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Best way? Nurse more!

Remember that 6-8 dipe changes a day means your supply is perfect. Nothing else is an indicator.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more help.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• In addition to the great advice of the above answers, make sure to include lots of produce in your meals and snacks every day - aim for a fresh fruit or a cooked vegetable at EVERY meal or snack.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• There is also an herbal tea that worked great for me. It's called Mother's Milk tea. You can get it at GNC, or a health food store and some department stores. I could really tell a difference when I was nursing. Good Luck and stick with it!!!
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 3:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2008