When/How Should I stop breastfeeding my son to sleep at night and throughout the night?

nicknnate

Asked by nicknnate at 1:03 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• You first have to transition him to a bottle, it holds more and he may sleep longer with even a half ounce more in his belly. He will adjust to the new nipple. I tried never to put my ds to sleep with a bottle or by feeding because it is harder to break as they get older. It may take a week or so but he will catch on mom, hang in there.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Weaning doesn't mean sleeping, I'm afraid! They sleep when they sleep DESPITE what you do, not because of it.

Mine didn't sleep long stretches even after weaning.

And "through the night" is a mere five hours.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:25 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If your son is 6mo+, he is old enough to be able to not eat for 10 hrs. He may still wake, but usually it is out of habit. Its harder for you than it is for him to let him get back to sleep without the breast.
    tinykelsie

Answer by tinykelsie at 4:07 AM on Dec. 24, 2008