9 month old not rolling over yet?

I have a friend who's daughter is 9 months and still doesnt roll over. Is that normal? And shes not even worried about it! Thats what I dont get. If my daughter (shes 10 months) wasnt rolling over and standing or crawling, Id be super worried and have called the doctor months ago. I almost wanna say something to her to ask her doctor, but Its really not my place at all and I'd feel weird. She texted me the other day and said "I think im gonna introduce milk to Dakota."... Babies dont need milk till they are one! What the hec? And when I saw her the other day, she was telling me how she doesnt get enough formula on WIC, and now Im thinking what if thats why she wants to "introduce" milk?
She went through a time where she wanted to give her daughter up for adoption. She even had me go with her to the adoption agency and she was ready to look at books for families. And then she called me and said that shes just going to "deal with it." I dont know. I know its going off topic of the rolling over - but it almost seems like she doesnt care? Her daughter is finally sitting up independantly - which is fantastic! And when my friend saw my daughter crawling and standing up, she was like "oh my gosh im amazed right now! Dakota is soo far behind!" after she said that, it made me think - then why dont you call the doctor to see if there is something maybe going on?
Any adivce on it all? I know babies do things on their own time - i totally get it and its life! But, to not even be rolling over at 9 months?

meganrst

Asked by meganrst at 9:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• By 9 months should roll not always crawl /stand yet my first walked at 10 month my 8 1/2 month just started TP crawl in last two days and cant pull herself up yet each child is soo different
    Alcnic29

Answer by Alcnic29 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2011

• But mine don't like To bear weight so saw dr just for assurance
    Alcnic29

Answer by Alcnic29 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2011

• yes she needs to have him checked, there are free developmental screenings in every area for babies and children up to 5. Maybe you can take your child and see if she wants to come with and have her child checked? Only takes a few minutes.. I did it with my son who wasnt sitting or bearing weight at 7 months and he just got diagnosed with CP. It is so important to just cover all the basis, whats the worse that can happen? Her child is perfectly fine?
    mikailas_mom

Answer by mikailas_mom at 10:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2011

• Her daughter seems fine i suppose. My friend is suppose to have her daugther wear this cast thing for her foot because shes got a club toe? Or somethng along those lines. But, she doesnt ever have her wear it... I honestly think she doesnt wanna get her daughter checked out because then if she starts to crawl and move around, she'll have to be more active in Dakota's life, and not just sit with her. I just dont know how to tell her she should go get her checked out. And she also told me that at Dakota's 6 month appointment, that her normal doctor wasnt there and the doctor filling in asked if Dakota was sitting or rolling over and my friend had said that she wasnt doing either and the doctor was asking questions to see why not. And my friend told me that she thought the doctor was insinuating that Dakota was slow and she got all pissed. And she still has her sleep in a bassinett!!
    meganrst

Comment by meganrst (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2011

• if she's sitting up independently then no she doesn't need to be as concerned.. it's a stage that some babies skip, like crawling and going straigh to walking.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2011

• Completely normal. All babies are different. Since we don't put babies to sleep on their stomaches anymore it takes some alot longer to learn how to roll. If she is developing normally everyway else, I wouldn't be worried either. My daughter didn't walk until 15 months, and never crawled. She is totally normal!
    oneofeach26

Answer by oneofeach26 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2011

• My daughter never rolled over. When placed on her stomach she would crawl, but just didn't feel like rolling over. If she was on her back she was content with what she could see and reach. After crawling for about a month she decided rolling over was worth it.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2011