my mother and siblings tell me its stupid for me to go to L&D

ive been having contractions for a few days now and my dr knows this. he said if i have a certain amount to go back to L&D. my mother and siblings say its stupid to do this and they would only do it if they are REALLY in labor.

im sorry but i didnt even know i was HAVING contractions before, i just knew i was having pains. so how am i supposed to KNOW that im IN labor?

i feel so hurt by what they say. i wont listen to them, but then when i go they talk crap.

ive only called my drs TWICE this whole pregnancy once around 17 weeks and just the other day when i was having contractions so its not like im calling for stupid reasons.... idk. how would you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Hey, if you feel like you need to and don't mind spending the extra few hundred bucks a false alarm visit may cost you then do what you need to to and don't listen to anyone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• i have insurance that covers everything. so im not spending money. and it WASNT a false alarm THANKS...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If they are CONSITANT for up to TWO hours GO,!

I was told that Yesturday By my Doctor!

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 2:10 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• hey only u will know if u need to go not them... so if u feel like u need to go... then go but someof the signs are more than 5 contractions in 30 min and u will have to go the bathroom alot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• you are not stupid ,especially seen as this is your first pregnancy ,I think your family are being unsensitive to you and very unreasonable .You ring your doctor whenever you like ,they will understand good luck with the birth .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 2:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• tell your family to go fuck themselves. how inconsiderate. you really do 'just know' when you really are in labor. instead of just going in (unless they're seriously painful) i would call L&D first and go off what they say. dont even tell your family your going. just go. and then call them if its not a false alarm. i would chew my family out. you're doing what in the best interest of the baby..even if you went every day.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:00 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I'm sorry your family is adding so much drama to your life! If you think you might be in labor, then go to L&D. I don't know if you're full term or not, but follow the directions of your doctor as to when to go in. And try to find some supportive people to have around you. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If you are having an issue with contractions or any other problem during your pregnancy,call your doctor. If it's the weekend or after hours there is someone covering if he/she is not on call. Sometimes it might be something simple you can do like resting and drinking more fluids. but DO call-that's what they are there for-good luck to you and your baby! :)
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 4:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• It may seem like your family is being insensitive but if you got to the hospital when you are in early labor they will either send you home which will be very disappointing or keep you and then probably end up starting interventions that could potentially complicate your labor. I'm dilating and effacing but I'm going to wait as long as I can to go to the hospital because I learned the hard way with my first two that they hospitals are not a conducive environment for natural labor progression.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 6:29 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If you can sit here typing, chances are it isnt real labor and they are just braxton hicks contractions, you dont need to go to L&D for every single contraction you have. When you start having contractions, drink a BIG CU (or a LITER) of cold water, and they lay down and rest... if your contractions go away, it isnt labor. If they only get stronger, and closer together, then start timing them... Once your contractions are VERY strong, 5 minutes apart or less and lasting 1 minute long each... THEN call your doctor.

You really dont have to go to the hospital then. The earlier in your labor you go in... the more interventions they give you. Once you walk in you are on a time clock... you HAVE to give birth within a certain time or they will start looking for stupid reasons to give you a c-section. Just stay home until transition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2008