How do you respond to the "back in my day" issues?

I believe in car seats, that lead paint is dangerous, that gates should be used on stairs and that cupboards with hazardous things esp should have safety latches, etc...  but I'm amazed at how many older family members, etc reply with comments about how they had lead paint, no safety gates, etc when they were young and they survived just fine.  How do you reply to this!?  Curious what you all would say!

ryras_mommy

Asked by ryras_mommy at 2:17 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I knew someone who had a stillbirth BECAUSE of LED PAINT. Her baby was fine all the way up until her 3rd trimester when she was painting the baby's room. Tell them either way shit happens. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I normally just smile and let it go. My Grandma is the worst! She thinks that chicken used to taste better because the chickens weren't force fed back then. If you can't just let it go, you can say something like, we've come along way since then. lol.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:29 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• i would say well we have obviousley learnt from your mistakes and that is why these things were invented .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 2:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Because the people who AREN'T fine aren't here to stand up and say they were the statistic.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I am a "back in my day" kinda mom, These days so many moms don't want to watch their kids and rely on gadgets and technology to entertain (babysit) their kids. I still don't get the seatbelt/carseat thing though, lol. When I was a kid, 5 of us went in the back of a truck laying down with blankets (we had a camper shell) all the way to New Mexico from California. Forget the camper shell, we went in the back of a mini-truck on New Years on the freeway with no seatbelts. Wow the 70's and 80's were crazy!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• For the record, I'm totally with Grandma on the whole chicken thing.

If it's no skin off your nose, just smile and nod. Unless they are forcing your kid to drink lead paint or letting them ride on the top of the car - just LET IT SLIDE.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• They may not appreciate how we educate ourselves so we can be good parents. The caring ones may just not want us to worry so much about every little thing if we do.

I think some have complexes that they didn't do as well at parenting and they need to minimize the job their kids are doing. My mother has mentioned my good parenting once or twice in 16 years. In the beginning, she was just plain rude and disrespectful, taking everything I wanted to do or have her do as a personal assault on her abilities to take care of children. My daughter had an accident (she wasn't hurt thankfully) in a walker (yea, they are death traps). I told her what happened and said, "Get rid of the walker you have." and she asked, "Why?" What an ass!

happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:41 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Sorry, I digress. Ignore it or keep repeating, "This is the way I like (or need) to do it." If they can't accept it, limit your time with them. You don't have to put up with annoying comments. You can also just repeat what they said, "Yea. Thankfully, you did turn out ok." Although chances are, it's far from the truth! Sorry, I am very opinionated when it comes to handling people who need to shut it! unless they are pleasantly annoying by reminiscing over and over.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:45 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I guess I am confused... Are they specifically telling you to use led paint? Honestly I think we "worry" about a lot of stuff sometimes. It that we shouldn't but that I can understandolder generations saying they were fine... a lot of them were! I'd just say "Yup... we worry about so much these days!" :) (smile) and leave it at that.  We aren't better parents, we just know more "what ifs" and possibilities.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Treat it like a joke, say things like;
    "I tried to find lead paint to paint the baby's room but it was really expensive"
    "Oh, we just put the baby in the car seat, we don't strap it in"
    "We figure he'll end up in jail anyway so we want to get him used to bars"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 24, 2008