OMG! Is it just me??

Is it just me or do you get SO caught up in buying gifts we can't afford and CRAP that they sell at the cash register you know, stocking stuffers, candy etc. to the point where you sit down all tired and have to sort and wrap the crap that you say to yourself, WTH am I doing? Why am I teaching my kid about getting stuff for Christmas, amd making a big deal about cooking, cleaning, trying to afford stuff just to celebrate...........Jesus' birthday? Am I brainwashed??????? Geez!

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 3:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I usually do. But, this yr I was out of work for most of the yr so my budget was incredibly tight. So, what I did was go online to walmart.com, kmart.com, etc. and go thru the toys, clothes, etc. online, and made a list of the items that I wanted to get my boys. Then I went to the store and compared prices, and ONLY bought the items on my list (of course, some stuff was slightly different b/c online and the store aren't always exactly the same.). Much like the list for grocery shopping. I found I did much better this yr, and I also got the kids things that I know they will truly enjoy, instead of a bunch of "Oh, that looks cool and I think they'll really like that!" stuff, like I usually do. I plan on trying to start doing it this way every yr.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:42 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• OH YES!! I remember the christmas before last I spent 7 hours wrapping my SS christmas presents! We bought stuff earlier and forgot about it, he had 27 presents that year. He has 7 this yr LOL
    aDIVASmommy

Answer by aDIVASmommy at 3:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I agree that it's easy to get caught up in all the "trying to get the perfect gift for everyone"....I love it all but right now am tired,will be glad when it's over!
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 5:05 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Just like me, you are susceptible to the push from all directions to spend your money. I get caught up in commercials and then want to buy whatever they are selling. The answer is to have a budget (and just like building a house, you will always exceed it), start a Christmas club if you don't have one and put that amount away for next year. I shop moslty on line or decide what I am buying before I get there. I literally look only at where I am going and what I am buying, making an effort to ignore the things I don't need. I think most of us are like you and it is insane!
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think everyone has lost the true meaning of Christmas! I give my son a few present's to watch him open them...he's only 6 months, so he doesn't really know what's going on. But as for older kids, I think they are becoming more spoiled, less parented and Christmas just adds to the mix of it all. I'm planning on taking my son to Church on xmas, I want him to understand the meaning of it, and he get's a limited amount of toy's..I'm going to give him educational toy's more. And the grandparent's are also on a limit too!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• i'm the same way..and my back HURTS SO BAD to wrap...so I'm debating now on spending MORE money lol..on bags and tissue papers..Just wrap the big boxes(guitar hero etc).
    I went nutty again..AND I promised NOT to do so.Its NOT about the gifts,yet it becomes about the gifts..its definately a brainwashing issue we have happening lol
    NaNcYBoUt

Answer by NaNcYBoUt at 8:03 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yikes guess Im not that bad...I unfortunately could not find there stockings this yr..have no idea where i put them. So that is out..woo hoo! But my kids get to ask Santa for 3 things they really want and Santa tries the best to comply if it isnt unreasonable so we have a capp on it. They do get gifts from mommy and daddy the day before though which arent too extravagant at all, so at least Santa looks good. ha ha
    My3Sons3121

Answer by My3Sons3121 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I really don't like what Christmas has become. It is comercialized to the point that if you ask your kids what Christmas is observed for, they will tell you it's when you get lots of presents. Unless you are in a good Church with a good childrens church. Then they will tell you it's Jesus birthday.
    This year I did not even put up a tree.
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• sorry, i am opposite, i love to spoil my kids. plus i am not a relegious (SP?) person, i dont go to church or practice any of it. so its santa in my house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• definitely.. it's like a budget.. what budget?!?!?!
    jliv131

Answer by jliv131 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2008