How do you make cornbread without it falling all over the place,after you "cut it' or break it apart?

Every time I make cornbread,it crumbles to pieces.It's fine if I'm having cornbread and milk(used to have it when I was growing up),but when I want cornbread and butter,it breaks up,can't put the butter on it. Help,please!!!!!!

weezy1c

Asked by weezy1c at 1:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Hmm that is strange. I make corn bread all the time and I never have this problem. I mean, it is crumbly but it doesn't fall apart. Do you let it cool for a few minutes before cutting it? Are you making from scratch or a box?
    JaxonsMomma22

Answer by JaxonsMomma22 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2011

• When I don't want it to crumble, I make muffins or "pones" instead of baking it in a skillet or round pan. Same recipe, but it doesn't crumble!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2011

• I haven't had that issue but I usually do what NannyB. said and make muffins.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2011

• Maybe try baking it for a little less time or add a little more fat (butter or oil-whatever fat is used in your recipe) or add a little more milk.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 1:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2011

• Jaxons Momma,I usually fix it from scratch.I make it just like my Momma did(I think),but you're right,her's never fell apart,either.Obviously I am doing something wrong.My Mama has passed,so I can't ask her.
    weezy1c

Comment by weezy1c (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2011

• use yellow cake mix for boston market type corn bread
    98lincoln

Answer by 98lincoln at 1:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2011

• Thanks all of you,I will try to do as each suggests,and I'll let ya'll know which worked for me.Thanks.Weezy
    weezy1c

Comment by weezy1c (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2011

• Here is my recipe: so you can compare...
    1/2 cup butter melted butter
    1/2 cup white sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup cornmeal
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt

in a cast iron skillet @ 375 for about 30 min.
    let it cool to just above room temp to cut and serve.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2011

• I buy the Aunt Jemima corn meal and follow the recipe on the bag, and bake in my cast iron skillet or a glass 9x13 pan. Always comes out perfect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2011