should i??

i am just curious..should i buy a gift for my daughters dad even though we are no longer together??? as a "to daddy"..."from maryssa"...or just say heck with it because she is only 2 and won't know the difference??

brice08

Asked by brice08 at 5:27 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Relationships

• If he takes care of your daughter you should take care of him. Even if all he does is spend his time not his money. There are so many dead beat dads out there. And far too many bitter women who don't appreciate the ones who aren't. Show him you appreciate that he isn't one of those who just disappears.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 5:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Well personally I guess it depends on yalls relationship. And how involved he is in her life. When I first got div I did all that stuff......wrote it was from my dd. (she was 2 as well). Turns out he could have cared less and hasn't been in her life over 5 years. A handprint cast might be cute and would make a nice gift though! Just a thought. Good luck hon! And Merry Christmas.
    shebearncub

Answer by shebearncub at 5:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If he's a decent sort of fellow, it seems like it would be a nice thing to do.

If they are going to open up gifts together, I'm sure she would get a kick of seeing her daddy open a gift from her.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 5:32 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think it is a mature and lovely gesture. She will understand the sentiment and that will go a long way. Start a tradition because it will communicate over the years that you have a good relationship with her Daddy and that is so important for her to know. What a nice Mommy!
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:43 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• dont make excuses for him at any age. he needs to be responsible, not you. 1st of all you said she to young to know the difference so what difference would it make now...but later in her years, your not protecting her from his inconsiderate ways by making him into something he is not. Dont run him down to her, but do be truthful about the fact he loves her ( she needs to feel that he does love her) , but hes irresponsible. If you start sugar coating his bad behavior then when "YOU" drop the ball & forget or get fed up with his crap, then shes going to be devastated. then "YOU" have hurt her, not him...understand? dont cover for his inconsiderate, irresponsible ways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• It's a form of hanging on to him IMO.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• LOL. that is true Babylove76. My hubby baby ma bought my gifts and he never used them. She bought him clothes and xmas cards. She used her son to hang on to him. As far as some comments some of you ladies made its so true about so many dead beat dads and there a a few good ones. My hubby is one of the best dads ever. His bitter ass baby mom does everything to make it difficult for him to build a relationship with his son but they have the best father son relationship. As she promised that if hubby ever got married and have a never child she will do anything to make his life a living hell.
    So good luck. Id say maybe buy him a nice card and handprint or tell her to draw something for him. Otherwise dont buy him anything.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I agree with Babylove...it's a way of hanging on, and even if you're way past it, it might not seem that way to him. When your daughter can pick out something for him herself, that's acceptable, but for now I'd either do the handprint thing, or a photo in a frame...something that's from her and not a personal gift.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• i do and always will, because I think its good for the kids to realize that their parents can get along.
    ormom1977

Answer by ormom1977 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If you feel in your heart it is a good thing to do then do it, You dont need anyone to tell you no or yes. I dont see it as hangin on to anything but being a good person.
    Bl4ckR0ses

Answer by Bl4ckR0ses at 9:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2008