bird revistited.

i wrote the question about the bird sitting on my basement floor. i wasn't specific enough. it was indeed a sparrow, a bird associated with someone dying in the family, and i hear crows all the time here [not sure if the caw of a crow is associated with death...] not really what i'm asking, i'm asking if anyone has any information or kind of maybe can help me understand these bird omens...i didn't kill the sparrow, i tossed it outside [it didn't fly at first] but when it was in my basement it wasn't flying around my head, it just sat there next to my dryer. my husband said when he was down there the bird flew straight at his head, but i didn't see the thing fly once. yeah anyways, i'm not really superstitious, but kind of.

Probably doesn't help that I'm 29wks pregnant and my hormones are all over the place.

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 7:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know about sparrows (but I'll look) but crows are usually messengers. Not death messengers just regular messengers but I'm pretty sure you have to see them not just hear them.

A few years ago I was having lots of weird bird omens and bird dreams. I ended up moving later that year rather unexpectedly.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:01 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• There is a good article on various bird omens on this web site. http://www.shawcreekbirdsupply.com/mythology.htm
    I have had a bird fly into my home really strangely and it kinda wigged me out as well bc my grandmother always said it meant someone would die. It was also a sparrow. About a week later two of my cousins did die and quite unexpectedly. One from a rare blood disease that had gone undiagnosed and the other went into a diabetic coma and never knew he was even a diabetic. It is strange and I cant say if it was an omen or just strange timing.

Answer by gemgem at 8:03 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I found this :) *taken from another site with a similar question*
    ~~~~~

Sparrow's Wisdom Includes:
    Desire

Fertility

Manifesting new love in ones life

Understanding the aspects of race

Ability to use the power of song

All aspects of color

**this has to do with the sparrow as a spirit guide....could find nothing on them as an omen..~heather

~~~~~
    and also
    ~~~~~

Sparrow: Good luck for lovers
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:08 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• *NOTE:
    I am Ornithophobic, so omens generally scare me. since the sparrow in the basement on 12/22, I've seen like 539459385 crows...which i'm sure i seen plenty of before, i'm just now paranoid...but gemgem, your story frightens me!
    Cowbell88

Answer by Cowbell88 at 8:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Well like I said no telling if it was a coincidence or not. There are so many old wives tales out there like if a broom falls company is coming, that you just have to take it for what its worth I think. If youre seeing other birds though I would say there is something attracting the birds to your home/yard and there is probably nothing to worry about. I bet there some seed or something they want to eat near your home.

Answer by gemgem at 8:47 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• It's only a bad omen if YOU DECIDE it's a bad omen!!

How about you DECIDE it's a GOOD omen!! I love sparrows- the fact that one flew into your home could be a symbol of NEW LIFE. Like the baby in your womb.

It's like the Death Card in a Tarot deck- sure, it might mean death... but more likely, it means A NEW LIFE or a BIG CHANGE-- a different life direction. Having a baby is A BIG CHANGE. You're life is headed in a new direction. I think that's what your sparrow is there to tell you
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2008