MY 2 yr old Girl,doesn't talk..much.

My daughter Lauren,I am calling Early Intervention.She is not talking much.She is saying words,but not sentances.She'll say Whats That...(in her way)..she says YES.Mama,Dada,her sisters names,grandparents etc.However,other 2 yr old girls,are soo ahead of her.I've noticed.
My 6 yr old was delayed speaker.I'm wondering if its becoming more commen,than it was in the past.The vax's etc.
Anybody else having this problem???

NaNcYBoUt

Asked by NaNcYBoUt at 8:14 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had two sons with speech delays. No I dont think its the vaccinations. Both my sons who had speech delay also had some sort of special need. Not to mention I remember one of the pediatricians telling me my oldest son who had speech delay was teaching his brother who was younger then him how to speak because they were siblings. It made sense. They basically had their own little language going on.

Answer by gemgem at 8:43 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I have notice later speakers in familys with older siblings... they don't need to talk, everyone does it for them. So maybe it's that??
    But I would talk to your pediatrician about it and see what they think.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:08 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My second daughter said about 3 words before her second birthday. She started saying words regularly at about 2.5 and sentences didn't come until 3+. She's nearly 4 now and except for some small pronounciation issues (mainly Ls) she's right on track. She just took a little longer to get started.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 10:48 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My son is 32 mos ( I say that so you will know exactly how old he is) and he has had a speech delay for a long time. As of now, he can say 3 word sentences but thats about it. His annunciation is what really needs work. I think now that you have waited until she was 2, then she would benefit from early intervention. They will usually progress on their own, but EI cant hurt. I opted to keep the state out of my home. Doc and I talked about it and he told me that as long as he was progressing, then to leave him be. I liked that idea. He has really made lots of progess in the last 3 mos. Part of the issue is his birth order. Hes the youngest of 4 and has siblings to do all the talking for him. It really makes a difference. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Well my daughter just turned 2 in November and has had a problem with getting her words to come. She is an only child for now so I hope there really isnt anything wrong. I am a single mother so I have been told alot of her problems come from not having a father. Are there any suggestions anyone can give me to try to get her to start talking? thanks
    ajruch86

Answer by ajruch86 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I agree with the older sibling thing....my daughter did have delays in other areas, but as far as speech...she just let her sister do all the talking for her! She is now 28 months and is talking just fine. She did have about 6 months of speech therapy just to see if it would get her to talk a little more, but she just decided she would talk when SHE was ready. Now I can't get her to shut up LOL! I love Early Internvention...they have been wonderful with my daughter. If you think that she has a problem, call them. They will do the eval and tell you what they think. Good Luck!
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 4:14 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My youngest son is 3 1/2. He is a third child. He took forever to talk. We had him seeing a speach therapist for a few months, a little over a year ago. After working with her for some time she determined that there was no real problem with his speach. She said there were probably many contributing factors to his delay, the most prevalent being that he was the third child. Not just do the other siblings do so much talking for them, but ,at least in my house, it was probably hard for him to get a word in because there was always so much commotion and so many other people talking. He continued to progress VERY slowly up until about his third birthday. Since then, it's like he finally just "got it"! He still doesn't talk as well as most kids his age, but it is soooo nice to finally understand him!
    momtiara

Answer by momtiara at 10:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2008