I feel like a horrible mother

I bf my baby until he was almost 11 months old. He stopped nursing and would not take a bottle either, self-weaned himself I suppose. He just turned 1 yr old and I've been pumping and giving him that and formula because I can only pump about 8 oz/day. I'm getting tired of being attached to the pump to give him such a small amount and thinking of stopping. If he would actually nurse, I'd definitely still nurse him. Is this bad to want to stop giving him my milk now? I just feel bad for some reason.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're not a horrible mother - it's a phase of his "babyhood" that's ending.....it's OK to feel a littel bad.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:01 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I felt guilty for years after stopping BF my 1st b/c she was going through a growth spurt in the middle of moving and I couldn't get anything done! Don't waste the time feeling guilty. Spend the time enjoying your little guy and you will both be happier. You did a great job going as long as you did! I wouldn't pump anymore.....spend that time with him or giving yourself some time to relax!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Don't feel guilty. He'll be okay. If you really want to be done, then do it He should be about ready for regular cow's milk.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 10:45 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Don't feel bad..I nursed my four children and they weened themselves off at different times. Count this as a blessing....he weened himself....if you can get away without having to pump any longer I would...if he is not looking to be nursed any longer...you may be able to just switch him to a sippy cup all together.
    Anonymous

• Don't feel guilty. A phase is ending sooner than you expected and in a way that you didn't expect. Partly you are grieving the end of this closeness and the start of a newer, more independent phase for him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• It is not bad if he self weined. My DD did the same thing at that age. You breast fed as long as you could, Breat feeding your child at all is amazing. You gave him health until he chose not to take it any more that isn't your fault. Be proud of how long you got!! Congrats on sticking with it for so long!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:08 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• why should you feel bad there are some moms that dont even try they just stick a stupid bottle in their baby's mouth from word go and not even trying to bf
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008