Did I spend too much money?

I spent 60 dollars on 6 kids for Christmas and 25 dollars on my grandmother for her birthday. He spent over a hundred on his mom, about a hundred on his father, 75 dollars on 2 kids (not in his family), 65 dollars on his sister and fiancee... He's screaming at me I spent to much on the kids in my family and that I can't get anything else for anyone and Christmas Eve (today is my niece's birthday)... I want to know how I spent too much money, can anyone explain to me on this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Relationships

• Well if he thinks you spent too much money he would hate to meet me and my family. I have spent around $200 on each child. $75 on each parent/grandparent. Now lets go to my mil shall we? She has spent around $400 per child & $300 per adult. I think your husband doesnt know what spending too much money is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yea, we spent like 300 on our daughter and he's yelling at me for that too.. But he's not complaining about spending the money on his family and is planning to buy more before going over there... I don't know I thought Christmas was about the children and not trying to comfort mommy and daddy..sorry just really pissed at him at the second.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I dont blame you for being pissed. Tell him its Christmas Eve and you dont have the patience to deal with Scrooge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Sounds like you need to get on the same page as far as what you're going to buy for Christmas. We decide who we're going to buy for, and try to spend the same amount on everyone. He's probably stressing, because either way you slice it, you've both spent a lot for Christmas, but if you're contributing financially, buy what you can afford. If not, better get a clearer game plan for next year or you're setting yourself up for this same argument every year.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• You spent $10 per kid how in the hell is that too much money? Tell him to look at my Christmas bill, then he will have something to bitch about.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• You spent $60 on 6 kids? $60 total, or $60 per kid? If it's total, then I really don't see how you spent too much money. He spent more than you did. If it's $60 per kid...it's more than I would spend on children that weren't mine, but to each his own.

It sounds like maybe you guys need to sit down and set an amount that you spend for birthdays/holidays. Like, you only spend $20 for birthdays, and $40 for Christmas, or something like that. Then, no matter how many you are buying for, he can't get upset as long as you stick to the limit you set. You can reassess every yr and make the limit higher or lower to allow for raises, job losses, inflation, etc.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:00 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• $10 a kid? What in the world did you buy them? You didn't spend much at all. That's pocket change...
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• You did great. Thats very reasonable. This is the part where communications comes into play. Talk about what your planning before you spend it. Go together to do the shopping. The problem here is lack of planning on both of your parts. Most people just go out without knowing how much they are going to spend and just let the chips fall where they may. Not a good idea. In this particular economy, its not wise to be overspending or spending like you used to at all, regardless of how secure you think you are. Hope the kids love their gifts.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:13 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Id smack the hell outta his ass.
    Bl4ckR0ses

Answer by Bl4ckR0ses at 9:26 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• He'd divorce me in a heartbeat. 3 kids...and I spent almost 3000 per child this year. No honey, you did NOT spent too much!
    YuppyMom

Answer by YuppyMom at 1:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2009