Can I use margarine in a recipe that asks for "sweet cream butter"?

I am making homemade frosting for sugar cookies and wanted to make buttercream frosting. It asks for sweet cream butter, but I dont know what that is and only have margarine. Can I use it instead?

asholan_07

Asked by asholan_07 at 9:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You can use a stick margarine, but not a whipped or tub margarine. It will not taste quite as good, but you can help that by adding a little lemon or almond extract.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• no, it wont taste the same
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• You "can" use margarine in place of butter, but your frosting will be SO much better if you use the real stuff. If you run to the store to look for it, I recommend Land O Lakes butter (it should say Sweet Cream Butter) on it, just make sure you don't choose the unsalted variety. If you're trying to avoid a run to the store, then just use the margarine and it'll be fine.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 9:10 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Margarine will have a different taste, but I used it for years for frosting. It tastes very good, just different.

Answer by Bmat at 9:21 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• jUST MAKE SURE IT IS MARGARINE AND NOT A SPREAD. tHE TASE MIGHT VARY A LITTLE BUT IT WILL SAVE A TUN TO THE STORE/
    wipeoutgirl

Answer by wipeoutgirl at 5:41 PM on Dec. 24, 2008