What is a "Family Steak" and what is a good way to cook it?

I don't think that is the official name for the cut of meat but Google is not helping me today. How would you cook it?

Imaginaryfriend

Asked by Imaginaryfriend at 9:09 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I've never heard of this, but if it's a good steak (like a sirloin), fire up that grill! There is no better way IMO to cook a steak. If it's a tougher cut, like a round steak, I would roll it in seasoned flour, brown it in a little oil, and then simmer it in water or beef broth and make a nice gravy.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• more than likely a flank or butt ( ha ha I said butt) steak.
    i usually sear it in a pan then bake it for 20 minutes. i add mushrooms, onion, sometimes peppers . you can make a great gravy from the drippings & such after the steak is seared.
    justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 1:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• any time you cook steak and it is of a tougher blend. Remember onions and or tomatoes / even ketchup put in the simmering water will soften it up with a lid on. Good Luck If it is flank I usually criss cross mind diginolal x and O type and fire up the grill. When finished cut it digininal not straight.
    wipeoutgirl

Answer by wipeoutgirl at 5:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2008