What traditions do you and your family have...

for Christmas Eve/ Christmas Day?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 9:13 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Xmas Eve my kids get to open one present from me and my SO. It is always a pair of pj's for them to wear to bed and open presents on Xmas morning.

We hide the stockings and they have to find them first before opening presents. We also read Luke Chapter 2 about Jesus' birth while the kids open their stockings b/4 they open presents. I have Xmas candles lit and Xmas music playing softly in the background.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Christmas Eve is stay at home, go to church, open one present in the evening.
    Christmas Day, wake at home and open presents, go to or have my family dinner and open more presents.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:22 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• On Christmas eve we go to my MIL's house where there is a huge party full of family. We drink Champagne and the kids run around and get excited about Santa. We open gifts from my MIL and her side of the family and have a wonderful dinner. DH and I will probably exchange gifts when we come home before we go to bed.

In the morning we get up and open my son's presents and then go to Church with my grandfather. Then we celebrate Christmas day with my parents either at their house or at my Aunt Margie's house where we open more gifts.

We don't have a lot of traditions in place yet because our son is only four months old. I like the PJ idea though! Next year we'll do that :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Christmas eve is church and putting out the presents. We no longer have little ones at home so it is just my husband and myself. I always am excited about the presents that I got my husband. And I very reasonably feel it would be a great idea to have him open one so that the fun can be spread out. Right? Right? So anyway I say how about if we open one presesnt now? And he always gives me a long-suffering smile and says. Christmas is tomorrow! So I pout a bit and then shrug. We cuddle while watching Christmas movies. This year it will be Christmas Vacation.

Answer by Bmat at 9:39 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I forgot to answer the second part of the question: Christmas day. I get up and get the meal going and do last minute cleaning and straightening. My family comes over about noon. My husband and I don't open our gifts to each other yet, but otherwise the family exchange and open presents. We eat about one. While people digest and talk I clean up the dishes and put leftovers away, making packages of leftovers to send home with everyone. Then I go and sit with everyone and we talk about Christmases past and loved ones no longer with us and how they loved Christmas. After every one has left, my husband and I open our gifts to each other.

Answer by Bmat at 9:43 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Party at with the family and kids christmas eve, no present exchange we just celebrate the birth of Jesus. Then drive around looking at christmas lights on the way home, make cookies for santa & put out carrots & oats for the reindeer. Little kids in bed by 8pm and older kids by 10pm. I do the santa thing after the kids are in bed but they do help put out cookies & hot cocoa & my teens & dh eat those lol. Then Christmas morning the traditional OMG Santa came! Open gifts, play, then head to mil's for more Christmas gifts & lunch. Then back home by around 4pm and we watch Christmas Movies, kids play with their stuff & we put on our pajamas.

Answer by gemgem at 10:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Well, usually we have a big fight a couple of days before and then we go to my sister's house, even if we're still pissed so that we don't upset our mother and by the end of the day everyone is so full and sick of watching the Christmas Story that my sis and I make everyone watch all day that we forget what we were pissed about in the first place:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• we make tamales on christmas eve we dont really have any other traditions yet
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Christmas Eve we have always gone to my Memaw and Papaw's house and eat homemade chili...but this year we went to one of my aunt's house to change it up. Christmas Day we always come over to my other aunt's house and do ham and turkey and everything else.
    BBowMommy

Answer by BBowMommy at 6:13 PM on Dec. 25, 2008