How can I get rid of the smell?

First off...we have two dogs and three cats (litter box is in the garage). Every evening when DH walks in the door from work, he says..."This house really stinks". I am a SAHM and don't get out too often during the week so I guess I'm used to the smell. I keep my house VERY clean, but the smell is still there. We keep our animals bathed and the cats don't really seem to smell, but I need some ideas...I do not want a stinky house...what works?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Home & Garden

• It depends on what is causing the smell....

It actually can be from the duct-work you know the vents and stuff. I've heard getting them cleaned out can help,

I've also have heard that having house plants actually help improve the indoor air quality......

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Well I use candles for a temporary relief, you know if people come over or something. But at Wal Mart we get that carpet refresher powder that you sprinkle on the carpet before you vaccuum and they have one that is for pet odors. I don't know if you have a big lots or not, but they sell this carpet refresher spray and you just spray it on your carpet and let it dry. Also, your carpet may just need a good shampoo. Oh and we also keep one of those airwick air fresheners that you can set to spray when you want it to.
    jaysmommy08

Answer by jaysmommy08 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• We have a ton of of house plants and our ducts are fine....It's just an animal smell he says...I guess maybe we should have the carpets cleaned or something...maybe that would help.
    Anonymous

• First carpets are horrible for dogs. We changed to tile throughout helped alot. Carpets keep the smell you can cover it but not eliminate it. Also vinegar and water mixture helps get out urine smells. Maybe the dog or cat is going somewhere you dont know about. We get used to it being here.
    looneymom

Answer by looneymom at 6:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I think your cats may be marking your home as their territory. In other words, they may be spraying in certain areas of your home.
    Apples2Oranges

Answer by Apples2Oranges at 7:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Febreeze for soft surfaces, Glade neutralizer spray for the air. If you have carpets with Dogs and they are inside..it's kind of a losing battle.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• If they are using the bathroom on the floor you can pour baking soda on there for a couple of days then after that take some white vinegar (not much though) and some hot water and mop it to neutralize the odor.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Could be the trash- make sure to take it out often.
    Also, the carpet if it needs shampooed. The dogs probably smell the most, and all you can do is put them outside before your hubby comes home, and spray some febreeze, vacuum, light a candle.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2008