Does racism really still exist?

Please explain why you do or do not think so.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Relationships

• Ya think? Just look around and watch the news.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think it exists differently than it did. I think a whole lot of people are sick of hearing it be the basis of EVERY accusation. I know when I went to look for scholarships for collage there were PAGES AND PAGES where all you had to be was black. When I had to be on food stamps a few years back I was treated like dog poo by the black workers and they treated the black people there great. Same went at thew WIC office and the Medicaid office. (BAD BAD times). It was so bad I didn't go back even tho we needed it! I am realizing I am getting more and more sick of it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Con't

From BET tv to Ebony magazine they seem to want to segregate themselves! and then you have predominantly black neighborhoods that go to crap because of THEIR OWN behavior and some how those crime rates are the white mans fault! WHAT?!?! AND the best part is how you can't say ANY of this or make these arguments because it makes ME a bad person!! So yes I DO think there is racist and it's never going to go away!</p>

Anonymous

• You bet it still exists. When we moved to a different town my DH, who is a dark skinned Hispanic, was working in a retail job. There were many people who refused to have him assist him, and his first day of work he was asked if he was in a gang. It isn't just toward black people now, people are racist toward Caucasians, Hispanics, Asians, you name it. It is just plain ignorance.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 10:40 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Of course it exists.

It is part of human nature - a part we should strive to overcome.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:47 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think it definitely does...but think about how recently the civil rights era was...something like 1954-1975. My father was born in 1949 before ANY changes happened...before Rosa Parks, before separate facilities were abolished, before black kids were allowed into schools, before the church burnings, before the marches, before the speeches...before ANY changes at all and saw every bit of that. He is 59...anyone older than that remembers more and has lived through it. Anybody over, what, 35 has lived through some part of it.

I think our generation does an excellent job of living and working together, but WE haven't seen everything the older generations have...we were raised in a whole other world. I think it definitely still exists, especially in older generations.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes sadly it does exsist. I think that people are more quiet about their racisim as it isn't as widely accepted in todays society, but it's still out there. Makes me sad. I worked in an assisted living facility while in college and some of the elderly people wouldn't let a hispanic aid assist them. She could clean their toilets all day long, but help them dress or shower no way.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 11:15 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes it still exists not only whites against blacks but blacks against whites.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• It definitly still exists, there are so many things that I hear sadly enough daily about this or that group andf it just needs to end. I knwo that its not going to be easy like we all join hands and sing koom ba ya.... ya know but I think that the more we learn about people and ourselves the better we will don in succeeding to make this world racism free.
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 11:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Sure it does. Racism is never going to go away. Its in our hearts. It used to be only against one race and then it became against other races too. Then those races built up resentment against the people who hurt them and it just goes on and on. Its basically a mistrust of people who you believe to be one way or another based on a certain stereotype that you have in your mind. As long as one person fits the description, it will keep that mindset in place. We have to be willing to let go of it regardless of what we see around us. ITs more like a conscious choice.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:50 AM on Dec. 24, 2008