What do you think Obama will do for US education?

Will he HONOR his Campaign promises of
When I'm president, we'll fight to make sure we're once again first in the world when it comes to high school graduation rates."—9/9/08
Double the number of high school students taking college level courses
"And we'll also set a goal of increasing the number of high school students taking college-level or AP courses by 50 percent in the coming years."—9/9/08
Double charter school funding
"That is why as president, I'll double the funding for responsible charter schools."—9/9/08

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It's doubtful. How much control does the president have over the schools? Every city and every state is run differently, with different rules and laws. The teacher's union is strong. He won't be able to make any big changes without their support. From what I can tell, the teacher's union seldom backs real change.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:33 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes, I believe that President Obama is magic. Don't you?

He will fight to achieve his goals regarding education - but only when parents start to care more about their children will it happen.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:45 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• "As president, I will work with our nation's governors and educators to create and use assessments that can improve achievement all across America by including the kinds of research, scientific investigation, and problem-solving that our children will need to compete in a 21st-century knowledge economy."—5/28/08, Thornton, Colo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Not magic. But people voted for change. I am trying to research how much Change people think he will actually honor. I
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I don't think very much will change within 4 years, and then we get to go on this rollercoaster ride again. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• we'll fight to make sure we're once again first in the world when it comes to high school graduation rates

I will be curious to see the Action Plan to make this happen
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• ""Not magic. But people voted for change. I am trying to research how much Change people think he will actually honor.""

Do you 'think' people have a crystal ball and can see into the future? We can all have an opinion or a wish list..but none can know what lies instore for this country, no matter who would have been elected Prez within this current period of one of the worst economies since the Great Depression. I sincerely hope that our soon to be official Prez can do 1/4 of what he promised. Would be a great start in the right direction.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 12:46 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Well, funding charter schools is a good start, but the biggest blockade against quality education is federal control of schools instead of state-and-local. Do Washington politicians ACTUALLY know better what's needed for children to learn in the classroom than teachers who live with the children for 30 hours a week?? Teachers SEE what works. Different groups of kids need different things - some have parents who don't take care of them, others come to the classroom ready to learn. No Child Left Behind decrees that teachers teach only what's on the test - and if a class needs remedial work on fractions before they can understand the algebra they're scheduled to be taught that year, then TOO BAD - the teacher is not allowed to take time to teach fractions. And schools get their funds cut if the test scores for each grade are lower than last year's - if THIS year's 6th grade scores lower than LAST year's 6th grade!! It's insane.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:20 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• What could Obama do that is worse than "No child left behind"? Ummm, nothing! Anything is an improvement on the train wreck Bush made of the US education system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I've noticed that Obama...like Clinton has his OWN way of speaking. Clinton was vague and required definitions of certain words. LOL! Obama likes to talk in statistics and numbers. Funny thing about statistics and numbers is they are very easily SLANTED to fit one's agenda, and make it APPEAR positive. And they can be twisted and redefined as the plan doesn't work out as imagined or intended.

Just like Trident gum's famous commercial: "4 out of 5 dentists surveyed approve of Trident gum." Spoken quickly, you'd think 80% of ALL dentists approve. What you don't hear is its of those SURVEYED...which for all we know was 10 Dentists!

It's all in how YOU interpret it...doesn't mean the results are accurate!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2008