Obama said he will Secure borders but implement process for illegal immigrants to become citizens. What are your thoughts?

"But we cannot deport 12 million people. Instead, we'll require them to pay a fine, learn English, and go to the back of the line for citizenship -- behind those who came here legally. At the same time, we'll secure our borders and crack down on employers who hire undocumented workers."—9/10/08, Washington, D.C.

Do you think he will make dramatic changes to immigration?
Do you think illegal immigrants effect our economy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Other promises made during the campaign: "When I'm president, I will put comprehensive immigration reform back on the nation's agenda. And I will not rest until it is passed once and for all."—7/22/07,

"Obama will remove incentives to enter the country illegally by cracking down on employers who hire undocumented immigrants."—Obama's Blueprint for Change

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Last time I checked - it is not yet Jan 20 - correct?

Or did I miss Christmas completely...............

How can you hold a man to his promises when he is not even in office?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:13 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Isn's that why people vote? Based on the Promises? So, I am wanting to which promises are the most important for CM's?
    Why so defensive?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Why do people assume that just because he said it, that it will be so? He isn't God. He is a politician, and people need to remember that ALL politicians LIE. Who knows what he will do when he gets in office. There are a lot of things that he can't do without the cooperation of the house and senate. So lets stop guessing at what will be done and start getting on the phone with your elected officials and start making your opinions known. They work for YOU. They don't know what you want until you tell them. Don't wait until it's too late. Inform yourself (or as some here would say Educate Yourself) on the issues and the things that will be voted on by your EO's and tell them what you want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• So, are you saying immigration isn't as important to you as_____?
    Is there an issue you hope Obama does Change? And what are your expectations for the man who will work for YOU?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Uhh. Why all the defensiveness? No where in the question does the OP attack Obama, call him a liar, or anything of that nature. She stated his plans for immigration, and asked for our thoughts on the matter.

How about we answer the question, instead of lashing out?

I think it's a great plan. A heck of a lot better than any plan for immigration we have now. I hope he is successful in pulling it off! While I don't think immigrants (illegal or legal) are responsible for all of our problems, they do contribute to the falling of the economy.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• ANON, ANON, ANON.....

I am not defensive.

I am realistic.

I know what Bush has done. I know what Obama promises - and if only a minimum are carried out, color me happy.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think what he meant was less illegal immigrants and he will make it easier for a person who comes here legally to become citizens. This is a very good thing because right now it is such a complicated procedure that even those that come here legally has to wait months or years before become legal, ya know. GOOD THING!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:53 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I don't think this will happen.....his own aunt was here illegally....he doesnt care about this issue

MY OPINION: he just says whatever to keep you happy (like all politictians)

i think they should all be deported and then have to option to come back but do it legally first...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Here is my thought on Politics, they all lie. When they are running for President. It is like this, remember back when you are a teenage in the back seat of that car. Your boyfriend is trying his best to get what he wants. He will promise you anything, to get it. Remember, he lied. This issue has been around for ever and ever Presidents have done the same thing. The ones that are here get to stay. They have done this all the way back as long as I can remember. My grandfather yelled about it. I am 58 yrs old. We elected these people to run the country, I didn't vote for this one, I voted for the other guy. So I will ignore him for four yrs. Like I did Bill Clinton. They can only do what the House and Congress lets them do anyway. People forget that, he is a elected official not God, who has the right to say yes or no to what the Senate and Congress send up.....
    Anonymous