My baby is 5 months old, literally since birth he has been congested. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

We've been to a few doctors (even an ENT) and they all give us the same advice. I feel so bad for him because he can't hardly breath!!! And they all claim there is nothing they can give him or do for him to help the little guy out. We do the natural nasal spray by little noses and try to clear his nose out with the bulb thingy. We keep him in the upright position alot of the time (especially when sleeping). The cool vaporizor doesn't seem to work for him either. Please does anyone have ideas? Its prohibiting him and us from getting a good nights sleep. And it also affects his eating (because he cant breath and eat)...ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!! (this is one of those things I wish I could bare for him). Has anyone else gone throught this? Does anyone know what this might be? Any other remedies known? When will he grow out of it, if ever?

Msunique80

Asked by Msunique80 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My older DD was always congested. Her ped. put her on Zyrtec for allergies, and it cleared her right up. She finally grew out of the constant congestion around 18 months.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 10:42 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• cows milk causes increased mucus problems. Try taking dairy out of your diet if you are breastfeeding. If you are formula feeding consider a soy based formula. Wouldn't hurt to try
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:53 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• He may have food allergies. My son had puffy eyes and abnormally stinky poop (he was breastfed, and it normally doesn't smell very much). Once we started him on his first foods, we found that he was allergic to bananas and baby oatmeal; he threw up every time he ate! Blood tests a few months later showed allergies to wheat, eggs, cow's milk and a few other foods. He was getting exposure to all these things through my breastmilk, and it was causing a reaction. If your pediatrician won't give you a satisfactory answer, seek out a pediatric allergist.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 10:59 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I agree with with lynette completly. You can even call Enfamil and speak to an nutrisionist. They will even send you free samples if you decide to give soy a try. milk product does cause congestion when there is an allergy. Now when giving soy a try it could take up to 2 weeks before noticing a diference. But its worth a try GOOD LUCK!!!
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• thanks guys for the answers. my baby was breastfed at first then at 2-3 months i immediately put him on soy due to me and the other kids were allergic to cows milk so i knew better. zyrtec hasnt worked for me or any of my kids so i tend to think he wont be different. also i think he is too young for it anyway. think i will try the allergist route. any other ideas?
    Msunique80

Answer by Msunique80 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes! It turns out that my son has what's called a "floppy trachea" it makes it sound like he can't breathe. Apparently this is not uncommon and they grow out of it. Does he sound congested or is there actually stuff in his nose? Does it sound like he's "wheezing?"
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:02 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My fiances brother had a congestion problem as a baby for a long while, and come to find out he had asthma.
    Anonymous

• If it is something more than just pure congestion, than this won't be a permanent fix, but may relieve your poor little one for just a little bit. My son was congested for about a week when he was a month old. I would go into the bathroom and turn on just the hot water in the shower and sit in there and hold him. Let the steam break up some of the mucus and then use a bulb syringe to suck out all the nasty stuff. It helped soothe him being able to breathe a little better and I also discovered that the sound of the shower really soothed him also.. A two for one deal.. =) ALso there is Infant Vicks Vapor Rub
    drakesmommy0624

Answer by drakesmommy0624 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 28, 2008