How do you feel about this case?

With all the junk our kids and we are exposed to on bill boards this really bothers me. Especially calling it "public nuisance."I think God is good and if one person comes to repentence through this praise God!

Modern 'David' defeats New York 'Goliath'
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/?pageId=84441

JCRestoredme

Asked by JCRestoredme at 10:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I feel, since it is his private property, he has every right to display his sign but I don't like preachy people. I don't think it says anything more then you have to believe his way or else. It's most likely just going to cause tension in the area.
    How would other feel of someone put a big trailer on their property that said, "There is no god. It is just a myth and you don't have to believe in it."
    I really wish someone would have told me that as a kid...it would have saved me years and years of heart ache and confusion.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:24 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Wow, i think its great what that man is doing. Just shows that the truth is being shown to people .Whoever doesnt want to hear it can just ignore it, but it will still be said. Im sure that billboard touched at least one person. Awesome!!!
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• At least the courts got it right and allowed it to stay up.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I'm on the fence. It's his property, so he can put up whatever he wants there, and (most, if not all) Christians wouldn't object to it because it's conveying what they believe to be the truth.

But not being Christian myself and living in a Christian society, I'm bombarded by things like this EVERY day. Even the place I get my oil changed uses their sign out front to quote the Bible. I can see how something that large and so 'in your face' would get annoying to someone of another faith who has to take the route to & from work every day - or drive their kids to & from school.

What if we woke up tomorrow and *POOF* we're not in a Christian society anymore? It would a bit of a slap in the face for Christians if suddenly all the Christian signs, billboards, flyers on the bulletin boards, etc changed to reflect Islam or Paganism or Buddhism. Wouldn't a lot of people consider that to be "junk" their kids are exposed to?
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• That is really sad. Some people really just have nothing else to do but to cause problems for others. I agree with you, there are so many influential billboards out there, subjecting everyone to everything from alchol to cigarettes to sexually explicit whatevers. Why in the world would a "message of good" be considered public nuisance?? That just doesn't make sense to me. If you don't like it, just IGNORE IT!!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• 1st poster, sorry you feel that way. There is no confusion for me.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I tried to find this story on a site that wasn't (apparently) a religiously fueled site. I wanted more detail -- his lawyer is defending his actions by saying his business is evangelical - does that mean in NY no religious or anti-religious statements would be tolerated and they are pushing a loop hole? If that's the case he should have to take it down. If no other religion or anti-religion group would be allowed a sign on their personal property, neither should he. You'll notice the article says that the state doesn't require a permit for *commercial* messages to be displayed. His message is not commercial. He did break the law. Just because you may like what he has to say doesn't mean he's right to do it.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:45 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I especially HATE the bill board we pass all the time by our house that announces the Adult Convention at the Convention Ctr.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:47 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• "The First Amendment is often inconvenient. But that is besides the point. Inconvenience does not absolve the government of its obligation to tolerate speech."   U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy

“Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.”   U.N. Universal Declaration of Human Rights

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Mom2 -- I agree and I don't really care if people have signs up. But it sounds like he was supposed to get a *permit* for such a sign if its not commercial and he failed to do that. That was my point. I was going off of what the article stated which was that the state only requires no permit in cases where the message is commercial. His lawyer is arguing that his business is evangelical and that's why the sign should be OK. Seems like the guy should have just played by the rules and gotten his permit like anyone else would have had to... and this would not have happened.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2008