Obama's Promises for change in Labor, do you think he will honor them?

"I won't wait 10 years to raise the minimum wage. I'll guarantee that it goes up every single year."—11/7/07, Bettendorf, Iowa
"If American workers are being denied their right to organize when I'm in the White House, I will put on a comfortable pair of shoes and I will walk on that picket line with you as president of the United States."—11.3/07, Spartanburg, S.C.
"He will work to ban the permanent replacement of striking workers, so workers can stand up for themselves without worrying about losing their livelihoods."—
"I will invest $1 billion over five years in innovative transitional jobs programs that have been highly successful at placing the unemployed into temporary jobs and then training them for permanent ones."—7/18/07, Washington, D.C.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• "Obama will create a program to inform businesses about the benefits of flexible work schedules; help businesses create flexible work opportunities; and increase federal incentives for telecommuting."—Obama's Blueprint for Change

"Obama will require that employers provide seven paid sick days per year to their employees."—Obama's Blueprint for Change
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• "We'll pass the Patriot Employer Act that I've been fighting for ever since I ran for the Senate, so we can end tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas and give them to companies that create good jobs with decent wages right here in America.."—4/2/08, Philadelphia
    "Barack Obama will better enforce the Equal Pay Act, fight job discrimination, and improve child care options and family medical leave to give women equal footing in the workplace."—Obama's Blueprint for Change
    "Obama will initiate a strategy to encourage all 50 states to adopt paid-leave systems. Obama will provide a $1.5 billion fund to assist states with startup costs and to help states offset the costs for employees and employers."—Obama's Blueprint for Change
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Expand Family Medical Leave Act
    "I'll expand the Family Medical Leave Act to include more businesses and millions more workers"—11/7/07, Bettendorf, Iowa
    Won't sign trade pacts lacking labor and environmental standards
    "It's because of this longstanding commitment to working families that I will not sign any trade agreement as president that does not have protections for our environment and protections for American workers."—2/24/08, Lorain, Ohio
    Sign the Employee Free Choice Act
    "That [union right to organize] is why I'll fight for and why I intend to sign the Employee Free Choice Act when it lands on my desk in the White House."—4/15/08, Washington, D.C.
    Anonymous

• "That [union right to organize] is why I'll fight for and why I intend to sign the Employee Free Choice Act when it lands on my desk in the White House."—4/15/08, Washington, D.C.

This is the one that concerns me the most. It removes the right to private ballot which will pressure employees to vote with the union so that they aren't considered a traitor. EFCA is nothing but a piece of paper allowing a bunch of thugs to run rampant within any industry. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:12 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Thank You QM. I am trying to research which of Obama's campaign promises are of priority to CMs. And trying to move away from welfare, Caylee, and abortion...

I appreciate your answer. Apparently some (on other questions) prefer the drama of welfare, abortion, and the Anthony's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Well, this place is full of drama, and since more people have the day off and there is an abundance of holiday stress, expect it to get heated (hopefully it won't though). Out of curiosity Anon, which one concerns you the most?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:27 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My concerns are actually from a social aspect. I am writing a paper on it for school. I think the dynamics of American Politics are going to change dramatically if Obama does not follow through on some major campaign promises. He has made huge campaign promises that entice just about each and every American some way, some how. He enters into this Presidency at a vulnerable state of most American's.  I am not sure how America will react if he (1) Doesn't pull out of Iraq (2) Doesn't reform Illegal Immigration (3) Alters the conditions of American Labor Force. These are actually hot topics that indirectly could change our economy. So, I am curious to see where CMs view these hot topics (or) their own.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Emplyee Free Choice Act scares the bazoobies out of me. So many small business members at my last Chamber of Council Meeting were genuinely concerned about this act. It could put some some businesses OUT of business.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Many politicians make promises and then find that they are not the best decisions later on after they are elected. I'm not bashing Obama here, at all.
    I am waiting, with bated breath, to see what he still feels is important after he is furthur exposed to all the information that the White House has to offer.
    What he was saying was that he wants to make life better for Americans. That's it in a nutshell. I must admit I don't agree with a lot of his politics, but I hope he does a really great job.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• The other part of the EFCA that is concerning are the contract negotiations. Currently, employer and unions have good faith bargaining. Under EFCA, there are short terms for contract negotiations. They go to mediation after 90 days and Interest Arbitration after 30 days mediation. The contracts are written by arbitrators without takes in the outcome and likely little knowledge of the employer or industry. There will be Arbitrator imposed labor costs, benefits and productivity standards. Now, if they know little to nothing about the industry, then what qualifies them to determine costs and standards? It just doesn't make sense.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:45 PM on Dec. 24, 2008