Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have you ever dealt with depression?

I've been a mom for 8 months now. i also had a good friend to commit suicide about 4 months ago. Since then ive had more problems dealing with things. I have a much shorter fuse also. My poor fiance usually is the one that gets all the grief. Could it be "baby blues" or grief? Has anyone else felt this way? Or am i just going crazy?


Asked by medicmom1296 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • It's probably both. Anyone can suffer from depression after something as traumatic as the suicide of a friend. That is extremely common and normal. It doesn't necessarily mean you have a depressive disorder. However, since you just had a baby, it is likely that your hormones are playing some part in your depression. Post-partum depression can last for as long as a year.

    Talk therapy might be really useful for you. There are tons of counselors and therapists that work with sliding scale fees. It's a very reasonable option if you have an hour to spare every week or two weeks.


    Answer by Ghostfacebreeda at 4:45 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

  • i suffer from bi polar and depression everyday i really think you should talk to your DR about it could be post partum or something worse...good luck sweets...PM me if you need anymore private answeres...

    Answer by connorsmom22607 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

  • Make a Doctor visit & talk to someone. I'm glad your talking about it & that you are aware that you may be having the baby blues. It's more common than you realize. I felt that way when my son was born because it's all so new & there are so many changes but everyone deals with it differently. You have also lost a friend & that has to be taking a huge toll on you too. Stick it out & get the help that you need by seeing your baby's doctor & telling them your situation so that they can offer you ideas.(if your doctor can't, then you REALLY need to find another doctor) Find someone that you can talk to that will listen to what is happening to you. Maybe someone who UNDERSTANDS the changes that your body does that would make you feel so sad. You have to understand that your body is full of crazy hormones right now & this causes crazy emotions! Best wishes & Happy Holidays. I'm always around here if you need someone to talk to. ( ;

    Answer by onespecialmom at 12:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

  • I suffer from depression. I was just diagnosed with it a few years ago. I would really recommend seeing your dr. about it. I would also talk to your baby's dr. as well. I go to a counselor & believe me it does help. I am on medication as well.
    If you have health insurance, your insurance may cover the therapy. If you don't have insurance, I'm sure that you can find an affordable therapist or counselor. If you need to talk, or if you have any more questions, please feel free to pm me. I will talk about it. I'm not embarrassed to say that I suffer from depression.

    Answer by JLee07 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 24, 2008