I would like to get some tips on how to let my 6 mth baby sleep through the night - she gets up every 2-3 hours. I have tried feeding her (with formula) from a bottle but she prefers being nursed in the night and that is probably not enough for her. Any advice that I can try out. thanks!

Pooja321

Asked by Pooja321 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you started her on cereal yet? None of my kids slept thru the night until they started getting a real stick to the ribs meal during the day.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• She is prolly going though a growth spurt.... and she needs the extra nursing boost... or is teething.... or is learning to do something new ( crawl, babble) and is to figity to sleep.... try a hot bath at night before bed to soothe her... and nurse her at night..... don't give bottles.... they arn't as effective as boobies.... hahah.... she also might just need a drink..... my DD just went though this... but now she's eight months old and only getting up once during the night again....
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 12:49 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My son did that. I don't know what to do but feed her on demand. Your milk is all she needs, really. You can try feeding her a meal at dinner time (rice cereal) but in my experience, it just made a poopy diaper in the middle of the night. Formula is harder to digest and can last in their system longer, but can cause a tummy ache if she isn't used to it. 6 months is about right to be going through another growth spurt.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 1:03 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I am having the same issue has you. My son is almost 5 months and has not slept through the night once. I wake up 3 or more times a night to feed him and he is usually good through the night but will not sleep through it. Ive tried baby cereal and formula but it doesnt help. I guess some babies will not sleep through the night until they are a little olders.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• How many times is she nursing during the day? Try encouraging her to nurse more frequently during the day so that she isn't making up for "missed feedings" at night.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If she's actually eating a good bit, then you shouldn't push sleeping through the night yet. If it seems more like she wants to suck and be comforted, then you can try giving her a pacifier to suck on instead of a boob if you're comfortable with that. It worked for my son the first night.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:59 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• We are working on that with our son also. But I have found he doesn't really want to eat all of the time. Usually only once does the REALLY want to eat. So we go in there and try to soothe him. He has a crib toy that helps him go back to sleep also. So often it's that he woke up and doesn't know how to go back to sleep yet on his own. We are going to by a cry activate light that plays music... you might want to try something like that and see how it works.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• at 6 months, a baby should be sleeping thru most the night... breastfed babies typically will wake once during the night to eat though. I used Dr. Richard Ferbers method at 3 months and my baby has been sleeping from 730pm to 530.(she is almost 6 months now). I feed her at 530am and she goes back to sleep until 8am. I have been bottle feeding since she was 4 months old. His book is called "How to solve your Childs sleep problems". I highly recommend this book! It was a life saver!
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• breastfed babies sometimes NEED to nurse in the night up to nine months. Feeding formula wont make any difference and wont make your baby sleep longer, it's also unnecessary and bad for your baby. My daughter is eight months and still nurses once or twice in the night, and that's okay with me because she's healthy, gaining weight and breastmilk is the best possible thing for her. If your really having a bad time because of this (keep in mind, sleepless nights are what you signed up for when you got pregnant), you can read The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, it works and is a gentle way to help your baby sleep longer and better at night.

No more formula, DONT let your baby cry it out, settle in and keep nursing that baby :) your doing good mama!!
    Anonymous