Urinary tract infection in 3rd trimester

My daughter had elevated WBC, trace leukocytes, and 3+ bacteria on a urine sample at 8 months. They decided not to treat it or order a blood culture because of squamous epithelial cells. Shouldn't this be a standard rule of thumb especially late in pregnancy. I'm really concerned.

Lvgonadream

Asked by Lvgonadream at 12:33 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Sorry about that - I'm in the medical field, but just a transcriptionist. Squamous cells are commonly from skill cells and contaminate a urine specimen and generally the docs to what they call a culture to see if it really just a bad specimen or if it is really urinary tract infection (UTI). This doc didnt do that. UTI late in pregnancy can cause preterm labor.
    Lvgonadream

Answer by Lvgonadream at 1:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Your right I had one when i went to my last appt at 35weeks and they took a sample and sent it in. they gave me meds to treat it and sent me on my way but i always thought they were suppose to send them in. I dont understand that either. Has she called them to ask why?
    Anonymous