Have you ever been scammed?

I am curious if anyone else has donated money to something they later found out was a scam? I have given to a fallen police officer fund and later found out that an itsy-bitsy amount of each donation actually goes to the families of fallen officer. I refuse to give anymore. I would rather put money in a contribution account for the family, at least I know most of it (if not all) will go to the intended family. So, who's been scammed, and by who? *I posted this in politics and current events because it seems that more of these scams happen during holidays and important dates, so as to 'guilt' you into giving*

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 12:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I gave to a "homeless person" downtown and the next week I saw this woman with pearl earrings and nice clothes going into one of the more upscale restaurants. I walked up to her and asked if she had any suggestions on how I could acquire wealth like her's in such a short time.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:19 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I gave to a group of kids that were supposedly selling magazine subscriptions. They had the cards and everything. All I had was cash, and gave it to them and never got the subscriptions. We called the # on the receipt and they didn't have our name on file. I was rather upset.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• It was for them to earn money to goto school...
    grlygrlz2

• I get calls from the Sherrif's fund for donations and every time my answer is the same: I have already donated! My ex-husband!! Check your records....he has been in prison/jail and now is out on parole. They hang up on me.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I was conned by a quick-change artist many years back. This man was very nicely dressed with business attire.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 1:46 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• No because I am aware of the signs ... pity many werent when that guy scammed 50 billion dollars from Jewish charities, the rich and all. I cannot believe people didnt see it!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I was scammed recently. Bought a car off a dealer I thought was legit (had the proper paper work etc. ) and turned out I bought a stolen car. Thank god I fought it and got to keep the car and I can drive it again (it's been 6 months and only had the car about a year). But as far as charity scams.. I don't normally give to charity because i know most of them are scams. In stead I try to give what I would donate to people I know around me who need it more. that way I know it goes to the right person. :)
    Anonymous

• I haven't been scammed by charities but have tried the usual scams for trying to make money with those stupid MLM companies, I never gave them money but almost did till they tried to strong arm me into getting my money. I had a few questions they supposedly couldn't answer till I paid, I was like so sorry I don't sell like that, either tell me what it is I want to know or get lost, they must have lots of people lined up to do there special deal. I have tried a few of the web based businesses and really haven't found one that worked for me.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 4:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• no. I dont give money to anybody except the people I owe it to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I don't give "generically" to charities...you know a dollar here and there....because so little of it actually GOES to the people who need it.

This is why I prefer to donate my TIME or grant a specific wish to someone in the Children's Miracle Network...That way I KNOW those who need the aid, actually get it.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2008